Too much ventilation?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LuluLutes, Jan 6, 2013.

1. LuluLutes

LuluLutes New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    Indiana
    We have 4 hens that are 8 months old-love em. Built a 2 level chicken tractor with hardware cloth as a bottom under the roost rather than a solid bottom so poop falls through the holes to the ground below. It is winter in Indiana. Do you think I should add straw or pine shavings or just leave it alone? The girls don't seem mind.
    [​IMG]

2. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    Personally I would add some shavings about 2'' deep. Just something to stop wind and drafts. Chickens can handle the cold fine, if they are dry and protected from the wind.

3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Hard to say. As long as they are showing no signs of frost bite and their activity level is normal, I would guess they are okay. What I have read is chickens are good down to about 0 degrees Ferinheit (sp). If they have an enclosed space where they roost above the harware cloth, their body heat probably warms the space enough since heat rises.

Hopefully someone with more winter experience will chime in an give you better advice.

I love the chicken tractor![​IMG] Good work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by