Too noisy for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kristenm1975, Mar 5, 2009.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I just got my first batch of two day old fuzzy butts from the feed store yesterday (SO excited!) and quickly got them installed in the room connected to our house that is the laundry room/workshop/storage area.

They are doing well, but the trouble is, that's the only place I have to run my miter saw to build chicken coops that I sell. I ran it for about 3/4 of a second yesterday and they made loud peeps and then froze, piled up on each other in all the corners.

My questions is, do you think it's harmful for them to be in such close proximity to that level of noise? Is it likely to stress them to the point where their health is going to suffer?

If I had to, I could probably transfer them into a spare room in the house just for the duration of my cutting for that day.

What do you pros think about it?

Thanks!

2. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not a pro, but my chicks definitely do not like my vaccuum! They huddled in the corner scared with their heads up high looking around. They got a little better about it, but I bet your saw is louder than my vaccuum. Now I just vaccuum when they're outside. Mine are 6 weeks old and they are outside most of the day, and inside at night.

3. chellebyerly

chellebyerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    I know that they get used to loud noises. I have 4 kids and tend to holler alot. And they are always bouncing off the walls.

Plus Hubby turns the TV up to the max. BUT, I havent ran the vaccum (good excuse that the chicks would get stressed), and I would think a saw/vaccum/etc would have a differnt decibal level, that might bother them. Not scare them, as much as physically bother them. Like a dog and a dog wistle. ??

4. echlfan

echlfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Fresno, California
    Ben use to practice his trumpet out in the garage. Once the chicks moved in there he practices at the opposite side of the house.

5. TC

TC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    La Grange, Ca
    We have a radio on in the garage. They seem to be okay with it. The brooder for the bigger chicks is RIGHT by the washer/dryer, I think they like it there. The dryer hose runs on the ground and they all sit on it when the dryer is running. I think they like the warm air, lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by