Too old to eat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Epona142, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    I have a muscovy drake, probably around 30 weeks old, who is a right old pest.

I've tried selling him but haven't got much response. Is he too old and tough to eat?

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I would think that it would be fine to eat. Might be a bit on the gamey side, but when you hunt and eat wild waterfowl, it's not like there's an age limit. [​IMG]

I would eat him.

-Kim

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I always eat the old ones. They are the only ones slow enough for me to shoot.

4. Epona142

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    [​IMG]

No interest in him, so he'll probably end up in the roasting pan. Never cooked duck before, but either the family eats it or they starve. [​IMG]

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Epona,
    If the family doesn't like this, "let em starve". [​IMG]

Steve in NC

Breast of duck with blackberry demi-glace

Ingredients

6 duck breasts
    1/2 pint fresh blackberries
    1/2 cup port wine
    1 tbsp cane syrup
    1 bay leaf
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    10 black peppercorns
    6 fresh basil leaves, torn
    4 sprigs fresh thyme
    6 fresh sage leaves, torn
    1/4 cup port wine
    1 tbsp minced purple shallots
    1/2 tbsp minced garlic
    1 cup demi glace
    salt & pepper to taste
    louisana hot sauce to taste

In a large mixing bowl combine duck, 1/2 cup port, syrup, bay leaf, garlic, peppercorns, basil, thyme, sage, salt & hot sauce. add duck and toss to coat well with marinade. let sit at room temp for at least 4 hours. in a large cast iron pan heat oil (we use olive or peanut) saute' duck breasts until light brown until internal temp gets to 140F, medium rare. Don't over cook or they will be tough. remove an keep warm.
    Pour of all but one tablespoon of drippings, saute' shallots and garlic 2 minutes, add blackberries and remaining wine and reduce by half, pour in demi glace and reduce by 1/4. season with salt & pepper. to serve slice each breast and top with a generous portion of blackberry sauce

Demi glace 1 quart
    2 quarts beef, veal, or game stock
    1/2 cup white butter roux
    1 ounce tomato sauce

divide stock into two saucepans and bring to a low boil. in one add the roux and wisk. as it thickens at tomato sauce and the other pan of stock slowly and cook down until you have a quart.

We serve with wild rice. Also, we found the port wine to be a little to sweet to our taste, we liked it better with a light blush type wine. Don't cook this with the windows open unless you make enough for anybody that will smell you cooking it. Enjoy!

6. Epona142

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    That sounds great! Can't wait to use it! [​IMG]

7. playingchicken

playingchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    I just made duck last night and i have to really recommend Alton Brown's recipe (or method really.) It was the best duck any of us had ever eaten.

Here is a video of him preparing it. (I used dried thyme and regular orange juice because that is what I had on hand.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frn-M8HnlP0

Here
    is the recipe:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/mighty-duck-recipe/index.html

Keep
    the windows in the kitchen open though. LOL. I had to keep fanning the smoke detector the whole time I was pan roasting in the oven. [​IMG]

8. Epona142

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    I LOVE Alton Brown, thanks! I can't wait to try it. [​IMG]

9. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    You are making me hungry, when is dinner? I've always put a piece of apple in the breast cavity...rap the bird with two strips of bacon and enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by