Too old to harvest?

bnther

Chirping
Jul 6, 2016
We've got 2 Plymouth Rocks and 4 Australorp hens that we raised from chicks last spring. Can someone tell me at what age are they too old to harvest for meat? (The breasts and legs are what we're most interested in eating.) I've read a lot about how early you can harvest them, but I haven't found at what age the meat turns tough.
Thanks

In my opinion, they're never too old to harvest. I have harvested 3 year old laying hens. You just have to think differently about how you cook them. My favorite thing to do with old laying hens is to pressure can them. I love having canned chicken on hand. You can do so much with it! The meat is tender and has a flavor all its own. If you aren't into pressure canning, an electric pressure cooker is nice, too. Put the bird in, she's nice and tender in an hour or so. What won't turn out well is frying or grilling them as they get older. They will be too tough and stringy. If you don't pressure can or cook, low and slow is the best option. Stick it in the crock pot for the day. There are so many options for your old hens.

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Never too late... just have to slow cook or pressure cook. We make things like tacos, enchiladas, soup... anything that can be made with shredded chicken if we are doing birds any older than 6 months.

Personally I'd sell those hens and buy my family a dinner, without the drama of processing without having done it before (especially hens is sometimes emotional for the family)... still plenty of laying left and good breeds to boot. Not less than $20 each... up to $30 each with plenty of time left for this lay season before molting begins for the new owner. Please consider it... many people will appreciate a laying hen without having to raise chicks.

Note I am NOT against butchering... my daughter and I do it ourselves :drool (hubby won't) and I cull for many reasons. Just saying what would make sense to me economically. :)

Personally I'd sell those hens and buy my family a dinner, without the drama of processing without having done it before (especially hens is sometimes emotional for the family)... still plenty of laying left and good breeds to boot. Not less than $20 each... up to $30 each with plenty of time left for this lay season before molting begins for the new owner.

Very good point!

Personally I'd sell those hens and buy my family a dinner, without the drama of processing without having done it before (especially hens is sometimes emotional for the family)... still plenty of laying left and good breeds to boot. Not less than $20 each... up to $30 each with plenty of time left for this lay season before molting begins for the new owner. Please consider it... many people will appreciate a laying hen without having to raise chicks.
I can't even get five bucks for a 1 year old layer hen. :barnie

OP, I agree with all the advice given already---no need for me to repeat it. :thumbsup

You guys are AWESOME!
I posted this less than 30 minutes ago and already I've got great info.
-------------------
With regards to slow cooking, I'm not too up on the canner, but I do love a crockpot (got 3 of those :p) Would 5 hours on low do the job?
-------------------
With regards to harvesting them now, it's all about the eggs. With 6 birds, I'm getting 4 to 5 eggs a day in the summer. I can't eat that many eggs!

We're looking into getting some Jersey Giants this spring, with one of them being a rooster. I've hesitated on roosters because of the 'miniature looking human' that runs around the yard at warp speed. The last thing I want is a bird going after him. The girls we have currently, love him and always choose him for treats over us.

I would probably harvest 2 hens for a trial run and then thin them out some more when the Jersey's come of age.

I can't even get five bucks for a 1 year old layer hen. :barnie

OP, I agree with all the advice given already---no need for me to repeat it. :thumbsup
Wow, that's ridiculous! People always want something for nothing. :hmm

I'm a softee and people are usually driving 90+ minutes each way, so I come down pretty often (without being asked). But can sell hens all day long it seems like, though sometimes it will take a couple weeks to get good buyers. I only know this because life has ups and downs and I decided to "liquidate" a couple times... only to decide this is part of my life and I'm not willing to completely give it up. One family drove 5 hours each way and stayed the night in a motel... because their daughter wanted pink eggs, that they saw in my ad on craigslist for eating eggs. They bought 12 birds for $150. It was a real blessing to share with them though. At first I was all sad to be giving up my flock but it turned into the joy of sharing something with a little girl. :love

Interesting to see the difference in markets though. :hmm

I definitely would not be getting a rooster with a small human around.
Completely agree.

All roosters will be different. But they aren't roosters for the first year and the risk is too great, without confinement for me... and even then still risky. :hmm

Learning how to properly handle a cockerel from day one might help though. I played a big roll in my first human attack by a rooster (towards me). But I learned and haven't had issues with subsequent boys. I'm still watching out for my dogs though. :pop

Back
Top Bottom