Too old to have hens?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pat88, Mar 10, 2013.

1. pat88

pat88 New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    Hi, I'm new here and live near Orillia, Ontario. I want to get 6 laying hens, but now that I see how old they live, I'm thinking that at 58, I'd better not. If we ever downsized and sold the house, I would not know what to do with my pet hens. I'm fence sitting at the moment.

2. AnotherSusan

AnotherSusan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2012
    I am 57 and got mine last year. I absolutely love them! They bring me so much enjoyment.

There are no guarantees to anyone as to how long they live. Enjoy your life while you can.

If chickens would make you smile every day, that is worth a lot.

1 person likes this.
  3. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Oh my goodness - don't let that stop you. You are FAR from old and you will get sooo much enjoyment from having them. They are a WONDERFUL hobby. And - adult, laying hens are not hard to rehome if you find that you need to.

4. Kat9191

Kat9191 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Hi, I got my babies yesterday and having a ball! This is the first time my husband and I are raising chickens so any advice would be appreciated. We live in Michigan and are raising Isa Browns.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]glad to have you join the flock[​IMG] go to the "Where am I? Where are You." section of the forum, maybe you can find something in your area.

6. pat88

pat88 New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    Thank you for the encouragement, maybe I can do this after all!

7. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Well, we're the exact same age and I got mine last year. I can understand your downsizing concern but - should we downsize - we'd be headed to a more agricultural area and our birds would be going with us.

If you are thinking about downsizing to a place where birds aren't allowed, unless you're thinking it will happen in the next year or so, I'd still go ahead and get some birds. Should you downsize, maybe someone in your family or a friend would be in a situation to take them by then. I would think they'd enjoy the eggs.

And the answer to your question is NO, you're never too old to have hens. Or anything else you want, either.

1 person likes this.
  8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Oh heaven's no, not too old! Unless, as mentioned, you have plans to downsize and move to a "no chickens" area any time in the very near future. Otherwise you should jump right in! They are not hard to care for and are such a pleasure! I plan on having chickens as long as I am able to walk or hobble out to the barn and feed them etc.

All of that aside, I should post this disclaimer that you have come to the wrong place to try to get anyone to convince you NOT to get chickens! [​IMG] We really are a terrible bunch of enablers here!

1 person likes this.
  9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, pat88, and [​IMG]! Pleased you found us! I personally think you should take the plunge. I think my birds actually keep me young! Hope you go for it! BYC will be here to assist you with advice!! Good luck!

10. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I highlighted what you said about the birds keeping you young as you're right. I spent more time outside last year than I had in the last 3 summers combined. I wasn't always working, sometimes I was sitting in a chair, watching "Chicken TV", while drinking a cup of coffee. But there were times when I was feeding and watering, cleaning the coop, or planting or picking something for the girls. We planted more veggies last year as we "shared" with the girls. They had to have at least one cucumber for breakfast every morning! Many times I served it up still in my bathrobe and flip-flops!

I agree with you 100% as I got more activity and spent more time enjoying good ol' Mother Nature last year than many years prior. It's been beautiful today and I was out working on the area that will soon be our new coop. Poor husband is getting more exercise, too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by