1. Abelethan

Abelethan New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    So I am looking into getting a backyard chicken coop to teach my kids about where our food comes from as well as give them so more responsibilities. My question is this, we have a 1/2 acre of land but what the house and deck aren't sitting on is all forested. I have a small flat area up in the trees but even that is shaded the majority of the day. Would this type of place be acceptable? How will it effect egg production? I don't want to get started only to find that my situation isn't ideal for the chickens. Thanks in advance for comments.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chickens are much more sensitive to heat than cold, and in summer heat (even in the northern US) they require lots of shade as well as breeze and extra water to survive. So enjoy your shad1e

3. Abelethan

Abelethan New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    Thanks Judy...Well I will have to start laying out a plan and see when I can get started.

4. 37 Caddy

37 Caddy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    One other thing to watch for is Snow,dont know where you live but that can be an issue in the winter time,wading through snow up to your waist in the wintertime will take a lot of the fun out of the chickens.If you live where it is warm all year around then the shadier the better.we had a couple of inches of snow here the other day,my girls did not even want to go outside at all,they took one look outside and went right back into the house,it is their first winter.Good Luck Harvey

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Chickens are jungle fowl first, and will be very comfortable in trees and brush. BUT the coop needs to be comfortable for you, too; visible, easy to manage for water, cleanout, electric hookup, etc. If frozen water in winter and deep snow aren't issues, you will still want easy access. Build bigger than you think you will need, and totally predator proof. If you have bears, that means electric. Mary

6. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Few other site considerations: Drainage, make sure rain water runs away from the spot. Access, close enough to bring electricity, even extension cord in the winter only.

Check out the trees. Are they deciduous? Summer shade and winter sun.

7. yellowchicks

yellowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2014
    NJ
    My Coop
    Also consider damaging tree roots when digging the foundation. Put a clear roof over the run will save you a lot of work from raking leaves inside the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by