Too skinny or just slow to fill out?

BarkerChickens

Microbrewing Chickenologist
12 Years
Nov 25, 2007
High Desert, CA
I have a Jersey Giant hen that seems a bit skinny (to me anyway). She is 8 months old and weights 5.7 lbs (as of today). Two of the other JG hens weighs 6.7 lbs and 8.6 lbs (I haven't weighed all of them though).

Her feathers are shiny, her poo is normal, eats and drink normal (though I wish she'd eat more). In my opinion, she eats less than the other birds, but nonetheless she eats (she has been in the house and monitored for food/water intake). She is active as well. Basically, the only issue is that she is a bit skinny. Her keel bone and hip bones are a bit more prominent than others.

To be safe, I am deworming the birds with Wazine-17. I started it last night, but haven't seen any worms yet (maybe it takes a few days for the worms to expel?). If I see worms, I will deworm in 14 days with Ivermectin. I am undecided on the Ivermectin if I do NOT see worms though (since Ivermectin is a broad-spectrum vs Wazine's round worms only).

They eat 16% protein layer pellets with scratch as an occasional treat plus veggies, weeds, pumpkin (this time of year!), etc. They have DE mixed in their food as well.

Any insight to the cause? Maybe she's really slow to fill out? (also, she is a hatchery JG hen, not breeder stock, so I expect her to be a little smaller in general than SQ hens).

anyone? This is the first time that I have raised JGs, so I don't know where that line of too skinny or still filling out is at. The rest of our flock are all breeds that are pretty much done growing by now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom