Too soon for ACV?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pineywoods Peepers, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

My peepers will be 2 weeks old Wednesday. Can I start them on apple cider vinegar in their water now, or do I need to wait til they get a bit older?

Thanks,

Rachel

2. Sweet Violet

Sweet Violet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    sure, my start as soon as they are born.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Same here. [​IMG]

4. CityGal / CountryWorld

CityGal / CountryWorld Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    what is apple cider vinegar do for the chicks?

5. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:Mine too...

6. Beekissed

If you use the unpasteurized~which I recommend~it provides probiotics that help culture the chick's stomach and bowels~helps better digestion and nutrient absorption. It also has Vit. C, potassium and niacin. All of these things help boost the chick's natural immune system and helps keep chicks....and all animals, ourselves included, healthier.

7. todtrac

todtrac Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Never heard of using apple cider in the chicks water, how much do you need to add to the water? And how often?

Please Advise?

Todtrac

8. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

Cool! My friend was at Whole Foods in Dallas, and I asked her to pick me up some ACV with The Mother. She delivered it tonight, and I can't wait to give it to the chickies.

Rachel

9. CityGal / CountryWorld

CityGal / CountryWorld Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    So my local farm supply suggested an antibiotic to add to the water, ("Duramycin-10")
    which I bought, as well as what my hatchery is sending with the chicks ("quick chick").
    can i "cocktail" out the water with all this stuff and the ACV?

10. Beekissed

It would just cancel out the effect of the ACV. I wouldn't put antibiotics in any water for an animal....why in the world would they want you to do that if you have no illness present?

Never heard of using apple cider in the chicks water, how much do you need to add to the water? And how often?

Please Advise?

First, don't add it to a metal waterer..this will corrode the metals and they will leach into the water. This is BAD.

Second, you can play around with the amount but it doesn't take much to get the affect and you want the chickens to still drink the water. Err on the side of less is more until you see how your birds like the taste. If I put too much in, my chickens will avoid their water and drink from the dog's bucket!

I would keep some in their water all the time....keeps your water fresher and they can't get too much ACV in their systems. Its all good!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by