Too soon for Layena?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AlbionWood, Sep 11, 2010.

1. AlbionWood

AlbionWood Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Albion, California
    Wife got tired of the mess and waste with the Flock Raiser crumbles, so brought home 2 bags of Layena pellets. We have two flocks, the older (Gurlz) were hatched mid-May (so they are about 16-17 weeks) and the younger (Kidz) on 6/18 (so about 12 weeks). All are dual-purpose heavy breeds. What is the risk of kidney damage to these birds if we put them on a straight Layena diet? Should we go back for more Flockraiser?

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:You're taking a chance. Just feed them a little less flock raiser and make them work for it--they will have to clean it up a little better is all. I've got 10 pullets that were hatched in midApril and just starting to lay plus another 32 that are end of May birds and won't be ready until next month. I just bought in 100 lbs of crumbles yesterday. I figure on feeding to the younger birds until all are laying. Better safe than sorry. Guess you pays your money and takes your chance.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I was watching this thread because I've been wondering this myself and have never found a definite answer. You'd think someone would research this.

On the other hand, I can't remember reading of chickens actually dying on layer pellets. Maybe there is some damage but it's not enough to kill them, even young.

I'd probably chance it at that age and make sure part of their diet was chosen by them from weeds, grass, bugs, etc.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    make a different feeder. I find a five quart ice cream bucket with the lid on it. Cut a hole in the lid big enough for them to get at the feed. Set that inside something like a six quart plastic feed bucket and snap it to the fence. If the bill out any of the crumbles from the ice cream bucket, they are caught in the bigger feed bucket and you can just lift out the ice cream bucket and pour the crumbs in the feed bucket back into the ice cream bucket. The feed bucket prevents them from destroying or tipping the ice cream bucket. Here's one inside a laundry soap bucket just for example. Works for turkeys, too tall for chickens, but at least it can help you to get the idea.

[​IMG]

5. AlbionWood

AlbionWood Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Albion, California
    It isn't so much that they bill out the crumbles, our feeders pretty much prevent that; it's that they won't eat the dust. They pick out the bigger bits, but the dust accumulates in the trough, and then absorbs moisture (we live in the coastal fog belt) and cakes up, so we have to dump it out regularly to avoid mold. We tried mixing it with a little water and baking cookies for them, but the smell was unpleasant. And the dust accumulates all over the inside of the feeders, so they have to be cleaned out periodically to keep that from getting moldy as well. The dust also sticks to the birds' beaks, then gets transferred into the waterers, which quickly get slimy. Basically these crumbles are just a whole lot more trouble than pellets.

6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have used the 'dust' from crumbles to mix with yogurt...they love it. Just a thought.

I chose to not feed my girls layer...went with flock raiser with oyster shell offered on the side. DH picked up feed at a different feed store last time, came home with Turkey/Gamebird that they mix in their mill...I added BOSS when I put it in the feed container. They seem to like it...I don't because it is very fine...would love to have a pellet but the girls don't like pellets.

7. Adopted Chickenman

Adopted Chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Rogers
    I purchase my feed from TSC and all they carry is Dumor and Layena. Up to now, I have followed the feeder directions on the back of either bag and it has worked well. Dumor has three stages for layers; Starter/Grower, Starter/Finnisher, and Layer. Main difference is the amount of protein and the absence of calcium from the Grower and Finnisher. It is the calcium that can be dangerous to young chicks. If you have mixed aged chicks, then Flock Raiser can be used aslong as you provide oyster shell on the side for your layers. When in doubt, follow the directions of what feed for what age bird, you can't go wrong. It may be a hassel for a while, but in the end it's all worth it. Great luck and may you have a sunnyside day [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by