Too Soon for Outside? **Added Pics***

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by noodleroo, May 20, 2010.

1. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I put my 10 day old BO and SLW chicks, 21 in all, in the chicken tractor yesterday for their first time outside. I decided to leave them out for the night as the low temp is about 77 and the high near 90. I elevated their food and water and put a 60 watt black light in the wooden 'coop' part with pine bedding on the floor and we checked on them several times during the night; they were cozy and happy.

I was originally going to bring them back in last night, but decided to leave them out. I was afraid that they would be too busy playing in the grass to want to sit in my hand, but all I have to do is open the coop door and they come to me for holding and snuggling, just like inside my house. I like having them in the house, but I don't like the dust; outside I think they are happier, and, they still want cuddling from me. Do y'all think this is OK or am I being a bad chick mommy?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    No, that's isn't too soon. As long as they were fine I woudn't worry about it. [​IMG]

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Oh good, thank you. That makes me feel better. I've read lots of posts on this forum and I tend to use my common sense for things like this. I know that many of the readers here live in a part of the country that is colder/wetter than south Texas. If they had a momma hen, they'd be outside from day one and go back to her for warmth. Mine just seem so happy outside; scratching, bumping, trying to fly, dust bathing and of course, falling asleep in my hands or lap. I still haven't given them any treats or food from my hands; they come over to me because they want to be held and petted. Patsy, my rough coat collie, lays next to the wire, guarding. When she walks by, they follow her; its just so darn cute!

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Your welcome. [​IMG]
    My chick have been outside since they're 1 day old. They LOVE being outside. It just makes me fill good inside to see them running around, scartching, dusting ... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by