Too soon? (newbie quations)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by havi, Oct 21, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    These are pictures I took just now of the eggs I have. Sorry for the bad photos, these were taken on my camera phone. This should be day 5 and not what I thought to see. From the pictures Ive seen online, this is not what I should be seeing on day 5. Whats going on? Can they develop faster by any chance?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Too soon, I've hatched for years and don't start candling til day 7 and then only from the Big end down into the egg. I only candle on day 7, 14 and 18. Some do it differently.

Day 7 you will see veining and a small dark spot moving that is the embryo.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  3. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    So what is the dark circle in the middle then? When these eggs first arrived I candled them to see if I could tell they were fertile or not. I didnt see anything, they were clear all the way thru(except a bubble in one). So I decided to go out there tonight to see if I could see anything and this is what I saw.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You can not tell if an egg is fertile by candling early, the only way is to wait to see development of veining and the embryo. The dark part would be the yolk where the veining and embryo start from if fertile, if you candle down from the top the air sac is at the top.

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would wait a couple days and candle again and see if you see a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by