1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too soon to "diaper" goose -- 1 week old?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by joya250, Feb 27, 2016.

1. joya250

joya250 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2016
    Hello all,

So I sewed my first two goose "diapers" today. An amateur job, but they seem to fit Luz the Goose. However, he is freaking out when I put them on him. They are not too tight, and in fact may run a little on the loose side. However, he shrieked and ran around -- really scared. He wouldn't stop figeting and biting at it. I had to take it off, as I didn't want to cause him distrest. We did this two times, and then I just gave up. Poor little guy seemed really upset.

Am I doing something wrong? The short time it was on him, it did catch the poop. Am I trying to start him too young? Should I wait another week?

As mentioned, he will be an indoor / outdoor goose… but for now he is indoor until he is large enough to survive outside without "Mommy". It is a one-room studio apartment, and it is hard to constantly keep up with the goose poop that he manufactures on a regular basis!

Sheesh. I am starting to worry about him like a Mother Hen. He has now been sneezing for the past half hour. :(

If you "diaper" your fowl when indoors, at what age did you start???

thank you in advance,
    Joy

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @joya250 looks like this thread hasn't been visited for some time but you might find some info on it that will help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/778867/house-goose-thread/320

I had a house duck for a while and used diapers when he was tiny and he got use to them pretty fast.So I really can't help you but also if you don't find anything to help here try going over to the duck thread there is a house duck thread too and it stays pretty active.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/632070/show-off-your-house-ducks/5250

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  3. joya250

Feb 21, 2016
    Thank you Miss Lydia! :)

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Your very welcome. Keep us updated.

5. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    I started diapering my first goose as soon as I got her, 8 days old. That was a hassle, and I do not recommend it! The tiny diaper needed to be changed constantly, like 2-4 times every hour. More often than not both gosling and harness would be soiled. Noone was happy.

When I got my second goose, she was only a few hours old. She wasn't diapered until she was about five weeks old. By then the harness was big enough to hold a decent sized diaper that only needed changing every hour or so. I managed the first five weeks using a stack of cheap towels designated for goose use for when she was on my lap; disposable pet pads for her "house" (the bottom of a small cat carrier where she would eat and drink) and for my bed at night; and A LOT of paper towels and baby wipes for when she was on the floor. It was so much easier just cleaning up after her than struggling with tiny diapers all the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Such precious pics. I have to agree I ended up buying 4 diaper harnesses for my duckling he grew so fast. I still have them though so if I ever have to raise another but waiting is probably the best idea. I also used alot of paper towels and natural spray cleaner. nice not to have carpet. My duckling got use to the diapers pretty easy I was amazed. He still comes in for visits and I only use paper towels to clean up now.

7. joya250

Feb 21, 2016
    Hey Goosegirl,

Thank you for your response. That really helped. I think I'm going to hold off on trying to diaper Luz until he's a little bigger.

I just placed an order for a grow-with-me "juvenile" diaper harness AND an adult diaper harness. Trying to be proactive. And although I did sew two baby diapers… I think having something that fits appropriately will help with his comfort.

Thanks to Lydia as well. Helpful, as always!

I can't believe how fast this little gosling is growing!!!
    Joy

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well how do we know with out pics? [​IMG]

9. joya250

Feb 21, 2016
    LOL, I know! I'll get the camara out again soon!

You know, now that I have your ear -- I am becoming concerned about having a solo goose. Everything I read says geese need at least one more companion. It's just myself, my senior cat, and my boyfriend (who works long distance, so not here on a consistent basis.) I never intend to have a goose. My landlords are tolerating one… but I am not sure they would be okay with two… but, I am needing to be away from the house several hours a day (at least for the next month) -- AND I have a few trips back to the states planned. Luz hasn't displayed any signs of unhappiness… but I am so concerned when we are apart, how he is faring!

Currently, as he is so small (relatively)… when I am gone, he is in his little bird cage (not to fit him for much longer), and then I put the cage in my tall wicker laundry basket (thinking that he would feel more secure this way, as this is where he sleeps. At night he goes back in the basket (without the cage) and I have a 40 watt bulb that I keep on for him. I'm not sure how long he needs to be "warm" at night (ie, what age they grow out of this)… And pretty soon he will not fit in the cage, so I am wondering if it okay to keep him loose in the "house" (it is a one-room space / efficiency apartment) … I do hang out with him all the time when I am home. We go for walks in the yard and he eats grass and bugs. He is super affectionate.

BUT… I am so concerned about him becoming stressed when Mommy isn't home -- and there is no flock. I know you had mentioned mirrors. I did buy him a bunch of "toys" today, but he seems afraid of them. And he's not that interested in the mirrors either.

I guess I'm just looking for either some reassurance that he will be okay as a solo goose -- or guidance that I truly need to get another. If that needs to happen, perhaps it is best to return him to the farm when he is old enough to fend for himself? It would break my heart, but I want to do right by him, whatever that entails!

Thanks for listening!!!
    Joy

I'll post new pics soon. He is incredible to watch grow. His feet are huge!!!

10. joya250

Feb 21, 2016
    okay, snapped a shot w/ my computer… we're just chillaxing tonight!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by