Too Soon to go to the Barn Brooder?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by judithkorff, Aug 29, 2010.

1. judithkorff

judithkorff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Randolph, NY
    I have 3 Runner Ducks that hatched out just about a week ago - obviously still in down. Right now, they're in the house in a plastic bin with a 75 watt lightbulb for heat. I'd like to move them out to the brooder in the barn, which stands about 18" off the ground and has a hardware cloth floor. Our nights are quite cold, however. Do you think it's too soon to move them to the barn brooder? I could run some cardboard protection around the front of the brooder, which is also hardware cloth, and the other sides are wooden. However, I'm afraid the cold will creep up through the flooring and chill them. What do you think? Our days are running in the 80s, but the nights get down to the 50s and last week even into the high 40s. Perhaps I could line the floor of the brooder with cardboard or a towel so they can snuggle into it at night?

2. HiddenHill Heretic

HiddenHill Heretic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Santa Cruz, Caliphas
    I reckon it is too cold. Maybe with a bunch of ducks to huddle for warmth, but they want 80 to 85 degrees at that age.Give them a little longer.

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I keep mine in the house until they 2.5 weeks old. It's draft free and cozy in the house. Starting 2 weeks of age they are getting outdoor time, depending on temperature. That can be done earlier if the temperature is right. They get a covered pen at that time to protect them from flying predators. I also ween them off the warming lamp fast. I watch their behavior and reduce the wattage the moment they move away from the lamp. They usually don't require heat by the time they are 2 weeks old. At 2.5 weeks I move them into the duck house, where I do provide heat in the night with an oil filled radiator. They can snug up to it if they like. I keep the heater up until they are 6 weeks old depending on night time temps, after that I remove it.

Overall I would not move them out of the house at this time, since they are still to young.

4. judithkorff

judithkorff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Randolph, NY
    I wish I could say it wasn't drafty in my house, but the door is always open (literally - I have dogs with an indoor/outdoor fetish!) so it still gets pretty cold in the house. Since it's all one room with a half loft, there's noplace that I can put them that is warmer than any other. Right now, they're in my kitchen which is as far from the open door as I can put them, but of course the flies are swarming near the brooder (the ducklings are just starting to eat the flies, which is why I got the ducks in the first place!), which is far from pleasant in the kitchen. Guess I'll hang on a little longer (and go out to eat LOL!)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by