Too soon to tell the breed?

JEsqueda

In the Brooder
May 16, 2015
Hi chicken experts! :)

I am a total newbie to the backyard chicken lifestyle. My flock of 6 includes what I am pretty sure are two roosters. They were bought in a ".99 chick bin" so I have no idea what breeds I've got.

I was thinking the black one (Nugget) may be a Wyandotte? Nugget was ifentified by viewing 3 day old Wyandotte chicks. He looked the same at that age. Not sure about the white one (Feather). Any thoughts are appreciated!b By the way, both boys" are about 6wk old at this point.

Thanks!! -Jess

Nugget is a typical hatchery quality silver laced Wyandotte. Feather is an Easter Egger. Yep, both boys.

Thank you! Another question! My FIL is the knowledgeable one, and told me if both are roosters one will have to end up one the table. :/ I'd rather that didn't happen. I realize things can change with age, but at this point, Feather had clearly established dominance. I also got them at the same time, so they've been raised together. What are the chances of having two roosters live harmoniously? I dont want to have to choose.

They can live harmoniously. However, you do need to be prepared if things don't work out. Personalities can change drastically once the hormones start flowing. And do not keep a rooster that shows aggression towards people. You do need to get more girls, though. One rooster will need more than 4 girls. Overbreeding can do some serious damage to hens over time.

They can live harmoniously. However, you do need to be prepared if things don't work out. Personalities can change drastically once the hormones start flowing. And do not keep a rooster that shows aggression towards people. You do need to get more girls, though. One rooster will need more than 4 girls. Overbreeding can do some serious damage to hens over time.
There are laws in our city. We are already over it by one. Lol. I'm thinking of saying screw it. :) Our neighbors have roosters and haven't gotten in trouble. How many hens does a rooster need?

And yes... if one of these boys comes at my kids, he's dinner, regardless of how pretty he may be. Until then, I hope we can all stay friends.

Back
Top Bottom