Too soon? turkey chicks on grass

justpiddling

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
I have some 4 day old turkeys that are in a cardboard box under a lamp with starter food and water. I layered the bottom with grass clippings for bedding which they are now eating ferociously. Are they ok to eat the grass?

Get rid of the grass and use old towels or shirts (just change out once a day). They need to focus on eating the Starter. If you want to feed them a treat - meal worms or small, live, moths are appreciated. Any stringy vegetative material is more like a potentially clogging filler - little nutrient value with potential for creating crop issues.

Try a slighty larger box: Poke a hole in either side, near the end furthest from food and water, about six inches from bottom and run a small branch through - they'll start roosting almost immediately (gives them something else to do). Also, place some hardware cloth over top of box - if warm and active they can't really `fly' but they'll try and sometimes clear the prison walls - kinda like fluffy popcorn popping.

You might find this reference useful: http://www.livestockconservancy.org/index.php/resources/internal /turkey-manual

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I threw the grass out right after and they are doing fine. I have them on straw feeding them grower feed and moving them out onto grass every day for a couple hours.

For other interested viewers information; I did loose two bourbons within the first 3 weeks. A third bourbon fell sick for a day around four weeks but pulled out. All others seem to be fine. Initially I had four each bourbons, blue slates, chocolates, and royal palms.

Back
Top Bottom