TOO SOON??

Katbec

Chirping
May 20, 2020
Morning layers and like minded!! What's the scramble? I have a little group of three, 2 RIR, and a Barred Rock (BR). Yesterday I introduced my 2 new 9 week old BR into the group and one RIR has decided that was definitely uncool!! She's taken to aggressively bullying the youngins and they spent last night outside, scared, and up on the feeder, waterer. They are contained always in an ample run with room however the RIR won't let them join the reindeer games! Ugh!! Ugh!! Now what? Should they work it out at my nerve wracking expense, or separate them and start slow intro's all over again for a second week?? Please advise, you wild flickers. It's much appreciated!!!

Try to integrate by separating the pullets from main flock but so they can see and hear each other. Do this for a min of two weeks then remove barrier and watch closely. Give pullets lots of hiding spaces and place obstacles in the run to cyt down on line of sight to prevent older birds from charging. But be careful not to create bottle necked areas when pullets get cornered and bullied. You can make a temp fence in the run to block them off. separate feeders and waterers. good luck.

I greatly appreciate your responses and the time you took to supply wisdom. I have added playscapes (stuff) to the run and pulled out the more aggressive red. The pullets are mingling better for the most part! You nesters are the best!! Thank you 😊

Birds - any birds are always greatly intimidated in a new place, even if they could see the place it is not the same as being there. Try putting the old birds where you had the chicks, and letting the chicks be in the coop/run by themselves. I have even turned out the old gals, to the yard, and locked the little inside. Feed along the fence. Let the bigs in very close to dark. This will give the littles territorial rights. They can explore without being chased.

Do this three days, then let the old girls in an hour or two before dark. And you should be golden.

Another issue - is what does your run look like? Does it have clutter where birds can get out of sight, with multiple feed bowls where a bird eating at one, cannot see a bird eating at different one. Boxes, ladders, roosts, pallets up on blocks or leaned against a wall all can provide places where birds can get out of sight.

And adding birds to smaller flocks can be tricky, if all else fails, try pin -less peepers. They have been very effective in smaller flocks.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom