Too Thin?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CoalLucker, Jan 6, 2017.

1. CoalLucker

CoalLucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    Indiana
    i was just wondering if this hen is too thin or if she's just a smaller hen. she's about 7 months old and hasn't started laying yet-- but it's winter now so i'm not expecting anything. she's a speckled sussex.

i'm also not sure if this has anything to do with it but i noticed today that she stand on one foot sometimes. she'll tuck her left foot up real close to her body and just stand on the one foot. she walks on both feet fine so i wasn't too worried, it's only when she's standing still.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    I do not know if she is too thin from the pictures, but I do have some advice on the foot issue.
    Examine her foot. If there is nothing wrong, she is probably fine.When you see her on one foot, give her a gentle push. If her leg is fine, she will place it back on the ground and not fall over. One of my pullets sleeps on one foot, and if you touch her, she puts both feet back on the ground.

3. CoalLucker

CoalLucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    Indiana
    thank you! i'll be sure to try that out the next time i see her. i'll have to give her a gentle push because she absolutely hates being picked up, she always has so that's nothing new.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by