Too young and too cool for wet grass?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pineywoods Peepers, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

It's about 75 degrees here right now, and the temps should get up into the mid to upper 90's today. I wanted to put the chicks out in the grass today, but there's still a pretty heavy dew on the ground. The peppers turned 2 weeks old on Wednesday. Should I wait until the dew evaporates before I put them outside in the grass? I don't want them to get chilled.

Thanks,

Rachel

2. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    If you aren't going to be able to watch and listen to them frequently, I wouldn't put them out. If you can watch and listen to them, then go for it. They will let you know if they're uncomfortable by peeping loudly, and if they do, you can take them back to their brooder to warm up just like a mother hen would.

3. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Songster

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    The chicks I hatch in the incubator get to play outside for several hours each day when they're two weeks old. I made a secure "playpen" with hardward cloth; I provide food & water, and an area of shade. I do wait until the daily temp reaches at least 80 degrees. They love it!!

4. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

I'll be close by studying, so I will be able to keep an ear out for them. But I do think I'll wait til it warms up a tad before I get them out. Don't want them to get chilled. I have a dog exercise pen that I use when I put them out. They've loved it the past few times they've gone out. Lots of chasing, keep away, chest bumping, wing flapping, and flying.

Rachel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by