Too young for DE Dustbath?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Autumn Mama, May 5, 2009.

1. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Well, I have lovely Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, that are six weeks old. What i'd like to know is this: can they have their first dustbath with food grade Diotomatious Earth yet?

I'm not sure whether to mix with sand or straight up! [​IMG]

They aren't in their coop quite yet, but do go outdoors each day, and I'd probably let them bathe outside, then bring them in.

What do you think? Share your experiences!!!

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    I don't know if age matters because it's pretty safe, especially food grade.

it will be super dusty if you don't mix in sand. really you could do a 1 part DE and 2 part sand. that should be enough from what I understand. you don't really want to breathe in much of the dust though, because it could dry your nose out, not to mention sneezing lol. mine would dust bathe in their own shavings bedding, so I think anything is better than that [​IMG] hth!

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine had their first dust bath at 15 days of age when we moved them into the coop, set up with heat lamp. Used a wooden box with a bag of play sand and 2 cups of food-grade DE. They had a blast! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  4. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Quote:Thanks for the ratio, that will be helpful!

So, if theoretically I shouldn't breathe it in, is it somehow okay for the chickens' resperatory systems? I will plan to use it outdoors during their outdoor time!

That's funny about the shavings, mine do this too, hence the desire to upgrade them to something more pleasant without the poop, lol!

5. Pug Momma

Pug Momma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Auburn, WA
    I put paver sand in a new cat box, filled it up about half way, and added a couple of cups of DE. So far, and interestingly, they have only pecked at it and are taking dust baths in their floor shavings.
    But mine are about 7 weeks old and doing fine.
    I have to admit that watching them taking dust baths is one of my favorite things - they kinda hunker down, lurch to one side and then wings go flying - it's hysterical!

6. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    Quote:Thanks for the ratio, that will be helpful!

So, if theoretically I shouldn't breathe it in, is it somehow okay for the chickens' resperatory systems? I will plan to use it outdoors during their outdoor time!

That's funny about the shavings, mine do this too, hence the desire to upgrade them to something more pleasant without the poop, lol!

the ratio was really to help you see that more sand and less DE is the key. you really don't need that much. you could even use a lesser amoung of the DE (because believe me it's all powder) than I mentioned, and it should still work just fine.

the only thing about breathing it in is it will dry out your nose (you will see once it gets on your hands how dry your hands will get), I didn't mean for it to sound dangerous or harmful and the chicks should be fine. the sand really helps tone it down though. and I am sure you will get a feel for how much you want to use

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by