1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

too young for outside??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Aliciahess, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Aliciahess

Aliciahess Chirping

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Hello all. My babies need more room and I need them to go outside. Do they look old enough? Tos have been around 40-58 lately. [​IMG]

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Crowing

May 19, 2014
    Georgetown, TX
    No, they don't look old enough to me. How old are they? I would guess 2-3 weeks. Are they on heat still? Yes they do need a much bigger brooder. How is the water situation going? That is always the biggest challenge.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  3. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chirping

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    They look to young... maybe another week. In that time (the week) you should build them a coop if you haven't already. (.... Wait I just hatched... when did I just hatch? What post do I hatch... sorry I realize it's off topic... lol)

4. Aliciahess

Aliciahess Chirping

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    They r 22 days old. The water is the worst! Its everywhere. No heat lamp anymore. Have a coop outside with the chicks and big ducks and the area around the coop is completely enclosed. Had them out last Saturday for a couple hours..no shivering, no huddling...lots of exploring and eating everything.

5. Aliciahess

Aliciahess Chirping

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    No prob. ;-) what did u hatch?

6. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Crowing

May 19, 2014
    Georgetown, TX
    They need actual feathers when it gets into the 40-50's their down is not going to cut it. How you seen the thread on how to make a water dish for ducks? I am using the pine horse pellets in a rabbit litter pan with a cool whip container for the water. It has a hole cut out on top. So much easier this time around. Last time was a huge mess and I used a milk jug with a hole cut out of the side. I leaned I really need the pellets in a bowl under to catch all the water. Have they been introduced to the new flock at all and will they be housed with them? If so they really do need to be bigger or else they can get really picked on and introductions take time.

7. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Crowing

May 19, 2014
    Georgetown, TX
    What kind of ducks are they? They are very cute.

8. Aliciahess

Aliciahess Chirping

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    They r khaki campbells. They wont be wth the rest unless I can be around to supervise. Ended up putting them in their own coop, bigger, completely safe and they have a nice heat lamp. Just checked on them and they were all spread out napping. Will get pics a little later.
    @needlessjunk I have eggs every day and am hapy to sell.

9. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chirping

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Sorry I meant my dumb status

<-- It says just hatched under my name

10. Orca5094

Orca5094 Songster

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Glad you made them their own coop, they definitely needed an upgrade on space. ;) They're a little young to be outside for long periods of time, but if they have a heat lamp and are put inside somewhere at night (out of drafts) they might be ok. Can you start leaving them outside for short periods of time at first and slowly increase it? That'll allow their feathers to grow in more and acclimate them to the weather before being outside for hours at a time. They do have each other to snuggle up to as well, which helps. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: