Too young for treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. CT

CT Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    Great Lakes
    I have had chickens for a grand total of two days, and I'm dying to spoil them. They are two weeks old. Is it too soon to offer treats? If not, what can I give them? Apple cores? Corn on the cob? Watermelon? Cabbage?

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    you can give them treats, but you will have to offer some sort of grit, sand etc...they will need help getting it down, and starter/grower doesn't provide this.

I gave my little ones cut up grapes, or even just wet down their food, and stir it up...they LOVE this mash...it is a treat all by itself. I would not give apple cores with seeds, yet...
    the seeds are poisonous, but as larger chickens it won't bother them, I would try it with such young ones.

Watermelon rind, pumpkin...all would be a great treat...

see this BYC treat chart for more ideas...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

3. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    I gave my 2 week old chicks clover flowers, hold the stem or pull the flower apart into little bits, it's sweet and they loved it! They will need grit before you give them too many things to eat, make sure they have chick starter, and remember a little treat goes a long way at that age!

4. sunnysongbird

sunnysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    you can offer pieces of lettuce (cabbage), or small bread pieces. mine love those treats! yours might have a different taste

5. pixiechick44

pixiechick44 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Hey there,mine were about the same age as yours when I gave them treats....I started of with hard boiled eggs chopped up fine,and strawberrys...they loved them and still do.... [​IMG]

6. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    They'll go insane for dried mealworms (and make you their best friend!)
    I also get crickets from the pet store.
    Good sources of protein--just like they'd get if they were raised by Mom.

If you give them grit, make sure it's finer, Chick Grit. They also love having a little pan of play sand to take dust baths in--and they'll eat some of the sand, giving them some good, fine grit to help digest the treats.

7. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

I give mine fine dry bread crumbs at few days old, it makes them very tame. I only give a teeny bit, but do it often. They fight over jumping in my hand.

8. kjfrogster41

kjfrogster41 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Belfast, ME
    OMG My girls are sooo addicted to Japanese beetles. We have the whole neighborhood involved in pulling the beetles off their plants (no sprays), putting them in plain water to weigh down the beetles so they can be given to the chicks alive. Watching the girls run off with a beetle and the others chasing is high entertainment. They have also "discovered" moths in the grass and caterpillars. I provide a tray of sand which they seem to enjoy rolling around in but not sure they are eating any of this grit.

9. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    I started mine at two weeks with canned pumpkin and they loved it.
    Give em sand for grit if your going to let them have anything other than soft treats.

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    DFW area
    I had a little cochin bantam chick that was having a hard time with the crumbles, so I started her very early with plain yogurt and mashed up hard-boiled egg. And of course the other girlies had to have their share too! As long as they have access to dirt or grit, you can give them other things too. Watermelon, oatmeal, shredded cucumber...all yummy things!

Grubs and worms are great too, but hopefully you won't have this happen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, that was nasty!!! That thing was about as big as she was! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by