Too young to be broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bravo, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    I have a 8mo BA that I think is going broody. I came home late from work and went to collect the eggs and there she was in the nesting box sitting on everyones eggs. Not thinking too much about it I reached under her to grab the eggs and noticed that all the feathers under her belly were plucked out.

I'm pretty new to chickens so I apologize in advance for the stupid question but is she too young to be broody??

My husband grew up around his grandparents chickens and he made a comment the other day that the same pullet was making a clucking noise like she was going to go broody. I totally dismissed it thinking what does he know LOL. Am I going to have to breakdown and admit he was right?!? [​IMG]

Ok and if she is broody what do I do? We don't have a rooster so nothing will hatch. Should I buy her a dozen Trader Joes eggs and see what happens?

Thanks for any advice!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    She sounds broody to me too. The plucked out belly feathers are a big clue. And it's never too young to be broody. If they are laying eggs, they can be wanting to brood.

As for what to do, your options are to break her of her broodiness, or get some fertile eggs for her.

Good luck!

3. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Definitely not too young. I have seen broodiness in several of mine beginning at 5 months because some started laying at 4 months.

4. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Rats....looks like I am going to have to admit my husband was right.[​IMG]

She's been laying for 2 months now so I guess it isnt too far of a stretch. Guess I am going to be doing a lot of research on broody hens!

Thanks all!

5. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I think if she has gone broody this young, you might want to get used to it. I am currently kicking my perpetually broody BO off the nest box. It's January, for heaven's sake, why are these silly birds broody? Yes, some do go broody young, and in the case of your DH, everyone has to be right at least once. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by