Too young to be egg bound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HomeschoolPollo, Sep 12, 2016.

1. HomeschoolPollo

HomeschoolPollo Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    If a chicken is egg bound can they still have regular pooping? Amber Dash is going on 18 weeks and has started to gasp for air for about a week now. She has a healthy appetite and drinking water. She isn't too hot. No hot air comes out when she gasps. Her crop empties and no bad breath. I thought maybe she ate something outside she wasn't suppose to like ferns. And she became nervous. She still preens. But she doesn't like being picked up and she is used to being handled.when I feel above her vent and to the sides of vent it feels hard. But I can't tell if that means there is an egg in there. She is pooping normal. No discharge from her mouth, nose or eyes. Sometimes the gasping is like every minute.took her to the vet at three weeks for the gasping but she was also very weak that time. Antibiotics, and oral steroids helped that time. TIA.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    Go to tractor supply or the co-op and buy Tylan 50, you will need a needle and a syringe to get it out of the bottle and measure it but you can put it on bread or in her water. She sounds like she has a respiratory infection, I would also recommend disinfecting the chicken coop/chicken run just in case it's a myco outbreak.

3. HomeschoolPollo

May 10, 2016
    Thank you for your quick reply, Braxton Brigade. Forgot to add she is a house pet so no other chickens and she sleeps in a crate at night. And all that is kept really clean. I wonder where you can buy a few needles? Do they have needles at tractor supply?

4. Braxton Brigade

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    Yes they do, I would recommend buying the 20-22 gauge needles, though tylan can be given as a injection it is just as effective when taken orally. A 3cc syringe is the only other thing you'll need and they sell them in a pack with a few needles.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/elanco-tylan-200-500cc

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...-with-22g-x-3-4-needle-pack-of-6?cm_vc=-10005

5. HomeschoolPollo

May 10, 2016
    Thank you! We have on in our area so will go their today. How much do I give my Amber Dash - she is 2 pounds 9.4 ounces and 4 months old - in her water and how often. Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?

Especially of the "hard" above the vent and to the sides?
    Is it swollen and does it feel like it's filled with air - when you tap on the the sides does it sound "hollow"?

7. HomeschoolPollo

May 10, 2016
    Thanks for your reply. Well, it doesn't look swollen. Her feathers are all white underneath so it isn't something you would see in a picture. But if I feel underneath around the sides of her vent and above her vent it feels hard to me, but that might just be her anatomy. I hope that makes sense. I will tap on it when I get home and reply back and reply back here. She does have some gas, but her poops are normal and she is pooping a lot.

8. HomeschoolPollo

May 10, 2016
    Wyorp Rock, it doesn't feel hollow, but solid.

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Then most likely the gasping is from a respiratory illness.
    You would treat as described by @Braxton Brigade

If you have a vet you can take her to, that would be best.

10. Braxton Brigade

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    A vet will do the same thing. Supportive care and antibiotics. At least you'll save yourself a good chunk of money by going straight to the treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by