Too young to clip?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eapowell, Apr 16, 2012.

1. eapowell

eapowell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    I took my baby chick, Biddy, up to the feed store I got him from and the man up there suggested that I clip his wings to keep him from flying all over the place. I don't feel comfortable clipping his wings myself since I'm scared I'll cut too much and he'll bleed. Biddy is only a little over 2 weeks old. Is he old enough to start clipping his wings or should I wait? I've seen a lot of things online about waiting until they are older. Is it necessary to clip their wings? To me he's just a little baby and isn't really flying that far but he has managed to make it about 2 feet or so with a good flap.

2. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  3. eapowell

eapowell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    I read that how to article and I still didn't feel confident in doing it myself. Biddy moves around a lot and I'm afraid I'd snip too close and cause bleeding or something. I can have someone more experienced do it though. My babies are indoor chickens. I'm more worried about one of them flying into a ceiling fan than anything else. I've been around chickens before and never seen them really fly up that high but after doing some reading I've noticed some breeds fly higher than others.

4. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Yes, having someone else doing it might be a good idea if you're nervous, or you could get someone else to hold the chick still (a towel over the head works well for this purpose too. They think it's night, and fall asleep!). If you're very worried about bleeding, you could keep some flour on hand to put on the wing if you do accidentally snitch it.

5. MamaOf5Cuties

MamaOf5Cuties Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Thibodaux, La
    I was told that as long as we don't clip past the first row it's ok, but I don't know that much sooooo that's just heresay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by