Too young to eat treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rasuka, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Rasuka

Rasuka Out Of The Brooder

My babies are 3 days old as of today.
    I went to the tractor store to buy meal worms (dried) and some chick grit.
    However as I was checking out I read on the chick grit saying that they have to be 2 weeks old. So this does mean I can't feed the meal worms or the chick grit to them until they are 2 weeks correct?
    I know they may have a bit of plain yogurt, but right now I don't have any on hand.
    What appropriate age should I start showering them with treats?

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Don't worry; they'll be fine. Just don't give them grit free-choice, as they may mistake it for food and eat too much. Let them have a bit of grit, then a couple minutes later a couple of dried mealworms. Don't give too much, maybe half a dried mealworm each?

If a broody raised chicks, they'd be out scratching in the dirt for food from day one.

3. Rasuka

Thank you so much! My 3 day old chickies will love your advice! ^^ I'll see what I can do now.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can sprinkle the grit like salt over the food (from McMurray website) until two weeks of age.

At two weeks, they will recognize this as something extra and will not overindulge in the grit from my experience. Mealworms I'd wait on for just a little while...I read one person had feet pecking start as they look like toes, when they fed them to tiny chicks.

5. Rasuka

Okay! I'll sprinkle some on their food today and see what happens~ ^^
    Last night I broke up the meal worms but they only tossed it around and played keep away.
    But I'll wait on the meal worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by