Too young to go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mpgo4th, Aug 9, 2014.

1. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I have a pair of white rocks that where hatched Jan. 27 of this year. That makes the just over 6 months old. They are with my laying flock of rir and golden comets as well as a white rock roo. For three days now one of the rocks is in the nest when I go to collect eggs. She pecks my hand then rolls the eggs back under her and sits down. Is it too young to let her try to hatch some? She has only been laying a few weeks? I really don't want anymore mixed or production birds but her eggs are still pullet eggs.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    She's old enough. Broodiness is determined by hormones and the number of eggs a hen has laid, that number being highly variable.

I have one such hen, precociously broody at seven months after laying over a 70 day period. She has been a serial broody ever since, eleven times so far in two years.

3. mpgo4th

Apr 8, 2013
    I may let her try to hatch some. I would like a few more white rocks but their eggs are so small. If she's on a few tomorrow I think I'll leave her alone. If they hatch I will have to switch the flock to grower I guess.

4. mpgo4th

Apr 8, 2013
    She hasn't been trying to hatch any for a few days. Today she was on three eggs and really didn't want me to take them. As I was grabbing them she pecked me and growled. I let them go and she rolled them back under her. I'm going to let her try to hatch them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by