Too young to mate?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SmartyChick, Jul 15, 2010.

1. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    OK the weirdest thing happened just now. I just saw my 14 week old cock, mount and mate a 1 year old hen. He sneaked up behind her and pounced...I actually saw him mating her. She submitted, probably thinking it was our older roo, her own age, but as soon as the little guy "dismounted" she saw who it really was and pummeled him to the ground [​IMG] my question: isn't he too young to be acting this way? I though it was around 5 months or so, he is only just over 3! Maybe watching an older roo do it awakens his instincts early? [​IMG]

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I have no idea what the answer might be to your question, but I'm laughing OUT LOUD at your characterization of the hen's reaction when she realized she was Cougar-ed!

3. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    if i knew then what i know now lol

4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I have a video of my rooster attempting to mate a hen his same age when he was about 10.5 weeks old. It wasn't a very impressive effort but it was effort nonetheless. He had just started crowing about 5 days before the act.

And just so you don't think I'm a little strange, I was attempting to get a video of his pathetic crowing but he had other things on his mind.

And my hens still beat up on my rooster, even when he's not attempting to love on them. I find it funny to watch my hens raise their hackle feathers and peck at him. He is definitely way down on the pecking order.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Our little Serama/OEGB cross roo, Rocky, started crowing and trying to mate with ....well, anything he could catch...when he was only six weeks old. His siblings ran away shrieking. When he tried sidling up to a mature hen with his best "hey, baby! new in town?" manner, she promptly beat the tar out of him. It didn't daunt him much, he'd just try another hen.

That boy is going to be trouble....

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Evidently, he's not too young.

7. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Same thing happened with my then 14 week Roo, he mounted an adult hen, after it was done she cold cocked him!! All pun intended... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by