Too young to Mate?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rnorris1234, Sep 22, 2010.

1. rnorris1234

rnorris1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    I have a bantam cochin roo (about 3 years old) that I caught mating a young pullet (I think about 16, maybe 18 weeks, but not sure). Is she too young to mate? If so, will he hurt her trying? She may be older than I think. She is still about half the size of my full grown (bantam cochin) hens. I was surprized and I don't want her to get injured by the roo. Over the last couple of weeks, it has been clear that he fancies her. They roost together. He calls her over and makes sure she gets treats when I bring them, etc. But I wasn't prepared ....

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Nope, she's not too young [​IMG]

Chickens don't seem to have the same sense of age that we do - but 16 weeks is the early side of becoming a "woman".

3. rnorris1234

rnorris1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    Does that mean she will start to lay eggs soon? I had been told that cochins are usually slower to develop and it probably be more like 26-28 weeks before eggs?

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    It could. If she's actually squatting for him, eggs usually follow in the next few weeks. If he's jumping her unwillingly, then it may not be for a while yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by