Too young to molt but feathers every where

Chukarbuds

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
Colorado
I have an 8 week old chicken that has feathers every where. The other two it is raised with are fine. Its feathers are all over the yard and the coop. Eats well, friendly as usual and like I said I never see them fighting and the pecking order is already set. Do I need to be alarmed? Is there anything I should for on the bird? Looks healthy and no change in temperment or anything else etc... Could it be diet? On grower feed for 3 weeks now but much heavier than the other two birds...total pig when it comes to treats. It acts like it hasnt eaten for days

I have an 8 week old chicken that has feathers every where. The other two it is raised with are fine. Its feathers are all over the yard and the coop. Eats well, friendly as usual and like I said I never see them fighting and the pecking order is already set. Do I need to be alarmed? Is there anything I should for on the bird? Looks healthy and no change in temperment or anything else etc... Could it be diet? On grower feed for 3 weeks now but much heavier than the other two birds...total pig when it comes to treats. It acts like it hasnt eaten for days
chicks go through several partial molts before they fully feather out, i was freaked out too by my pullets loosing feathers seemed like alot but didn't notice any bare spots and they all looked healthy, found out by reading they go through I think, three partial moults before 16-20 weeks old

Last edited:
Thank you Rhoise.. I very much appreciate your knowledge. I dont have to worry :D whew
I'm pretty darn new to this whole thing too! (pullets are 24-25 weeks old now). Worry too much about these goofey birds! But yes, mine were loosing feathers about that age and i didn't see them picking each other, and their feed was good so I was concerned. Someone said if you don't see any noticeable feather loss on their bodies and it's all on the ground and coop, no worries, so it eased my concerns. Welcome, there is a wealth of info to be had here(almost too much LOL!), and lots of support. I have a Barred Rock too
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom