too young to tell?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by nick77, Oct 24, 2009.

1. nick77

nick77 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2009
    new hampshire
    Should I be able to tell the difference between two sixteen week old royal palms? The only difference is one is a bit larger. I'm told this is about how old they are. They're just starting to feather in under the wings. The caruncles on both are real faint. supposed to be a tom and hen. Any help?

2. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    In about a month it's will be somewhat easier to tell.

Tom

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

If you could post a pic that would help.

Steve in NC

4. nick77

May 12, 2009
    new hampshire
    I'll post a pic. of the two tomorrow. Thanks

5. bee_wrangler

bee_wrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Have you heard any gobble yet? I have some rp's about the same age and I heard one gobble for the first time the other day when an atv drove by. Only problem is I have no idea what one did the gobble and I made every noise I could think of to try and get him to do it again, but no luck [​IMG]

6. nick77

May 12, 2009
    new hampshire
    No gobbling. I think they're probably a bit too young. Nobody's replied that I should definitley be able to tell yet, I can't imagine a Toms wattles will develop before it's feathers are full in.

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    no ones replied cause they are very hard to tell 1 from the other until a bit older. You should get a random attempt of a gobble here and there by now, but til the ol snood starts to hang down a bit, it's really just a guessing game on them at that age. Pics would help us decide, but time will be the definate teller. If they were born together, I would guess the larger one would be a male, usually bigger bodied, and heavier legs, but......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by