Too young to tell?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Breezy_Living, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Breezy_Living

Breezy_Living Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Northern California
    My previous BR set had one much lighter than the other, which turned out to be a roo, so I wondered if my Ameraucana set will end up the same way.

The one in question is the one in focus, on the left.
    [​IMG]

Here is the other chick of that same breed, in focus on the bottom.
    [​IMG]

2. It is a bit early but if I had to guess I'd say girl, boy. pls keep us posted for better guesses.

3. Breezy_Living

Breezy_Living Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Northern California
    I will certainly keep the photos updated!

These were the only two of the same breed that differed so much in color shade (like my last two BR's) so I am endlessly curious as to the outcome. The more hens the better, but they're only about 2 weeks now.

Isn't the age you can't start to "tell" about 4 weeks?

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Barred rock males are lighter than BR females because of the way the barring gene works. Your EE chicks don't have a barring gene, they're duckwing (or wildtype) patterened (and I mean the ones with the chipmunk stripes). That does mean, however, that you will be able to ask once they have some feathers (age 4 - 6 weeks) and get an accurate sex determination on them based on their feather patterns.

I have one that looked a whole lot like your light EE and she's an orangey-buff bird with black V patterning on her back and a black tail.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    EE will be sexable much more by comb and feather pattern/color than by fluff color. The one on the left looks like its comb is already raised, which is indicative of a male. You'll also want to be keeping an eye on the shoulders and middle back - if brick red feathers start coming in it's a boy for sure.

Just because two EEs don't look anything alike doesn't mean ANYTHING except that they were mixed with different breeds! EEs are a mutt by trade, much like sex links, so you will almost never cross two that look similar and get similar babies! That's part of the fun with them :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by