Too young to tell?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Breezy_Living, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Breezy_Living

Breezy_Living In the Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Northern California
    My previous BR set had one much lighter than the other, which turned out to be a roo, so I wondered if my Ameraucana set will end up the same way.

The one in question is the one in focus, on the left.
    [​IMG]

Here is the other chick of that same breed, in focus on the bottom.
    [​IMG]

2. It is a bit early but if I had to guess I'd say girl, boy. pls keep us posted for better guesses.

3. Breezy_Living

Breezy_Living In the Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Northern California
    I will certainly keep the photos updated!

These were the only two of the same breed that differed so much in color shade (like my last two BR's) so I am endlessly curious as to the outcome. The more hens the better, but they're only about 2 weeks now.

Isn't the age you can't start to "tell" about 4 weeks?

4. debid

debid Crowing 7 Years

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Barred rock males are lighter than BR females because of the way the barring gene works. Your EE chicks don't have a barring gene, they're duckwing (or wildtype) patterened (and I mean the ones with the chipmunk stripes). That does mean, however, that you will be able to ask once they have some feathers (age 4 - 6 weeks) and get an accurate sex determination on them based on their feather patterns.

I have one that looked a whole lot like your light EE and she's an orangey-buff bird with black V patterning on her back and a black tail.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Songster

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    EE will be sexable much more by comb and feather pattern/color than by fluff color. The one on the left looks like its comb is already raised, which is indicative of a male. You'll also want to be keeping an eye on the shoulders and middle back - if brick red feathers start coming in it's a boy for sure.

Just because two EEs don't look anything alike doesn't mean ANYTHING except that they were mixed with different breeds! EEs are a mutt by trade, much like sex links, so you will almost never cross two that look similar and get similar babies! That's part of the fun with them :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by