Too younge to sex silkies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mpgo4th, Oct 1, 2014.

1. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    i got a dozen assorted silkies this summer. They are 8 weeks old now. I lost one to my beagle and out of the 11 left I think I have 7 males. Is 8 weeks too early to call hen or roo on these guys? I'm going to get rid of most of them before I'm feeding them all winter but I don't want to jump the gun and give away a bird that might be an egg layer.

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    8 weeks is pretty young. Do you have any pics?

3. mpgo4th

Apr 8, 2013
    I don't. I have 24 chickens in a 1800sq foot pen. It's hard enough to grab them and try to check sex on them.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Getting birds at night is how I do most of my handling. When they're sleeping, they're easy to catch [​IMG]

I think they're going to be too young to tell for sure, unless it's by color. I had a good idea who was a cockerel at 3 months old, by the shading on the wing and the comb.

5. mpgo4th

Apr 8, 2013
    What do you look for on the wings? I'm going by comb size and shape. I have one white cockerel who has a very large purple comb and wattles. The rest are black covered and very in size.

6. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Last time I had silkie chicks I did toe sexing. I'm not sure if it was 100% accurate because it was impossible for me to tell my white silkies apart at that time and I don't remember/know who I thought was a hen or a roo... I do know I came up with 3 roos with the toe sexing and ended up with 3 roos for real!

Its not 100% but I think it works as well as anything else!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by