Took a class on processing poultry today. *graphic pics inside*

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LaurelC, Jan 25, 2014.

1. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    My friend Jen and I went to the WSU Extension's "Winter Classes." I was most interested in taking the "processing poultry" class. It actually ended up being the only really useful class that we took all day, but it was VERY useful for me. I was totally unsure as to whether I'd be able to handle the whole processing portion of growing our own ducks if we decided to keep any for meat.
    First - they had alpacas and llamas!
    [​IMG]

When we arrived at the class, I was both relieved and dismayed to find that there were actual live animals that we'd need to slaughter. I was kind of hoping/worried that we'd only have dead chickens to pluck/clean. It ended up being 4 hens and 3 drakes that had a date with the freezer.
    [​IMG]

So we slaughtered the birds by placing them in the cones and cutting their throats.
    [​IMG]

Then we scalded them in some water with a little detergent and tossed them into the plucker!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The liquid was a little too hot, so we ended up needing to finish up the duck plucking by hand.
    [​IMG]

Then we learned how to properly eviscerate a chicken/duck, including removing its head and feet with pruning shears.

[​IMG]

We got to see the yolks of eggs that the hens had developing inside of them.

[​IMG]

All of those little yellow balls are yolks.
    [​IMG]

And here they are chilling in a salted ice bath.
    [​IMG]

Overall, I have no problem with the scalding, plucking and eviscerating, but the actual slitting of the throat thing makes me a little nervous, and I think that I would have some serious trouble doing it to an animal that I had raised from a duckling. If someone were to help out with the slitting, I'd be happy to handle the rest of it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  2. SelfMadeFarming

SelfMadeFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    :goodpost:

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]Alright now that was well documented and explained [​IMG]

4. LaurelC

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    Thanks guys! It was great to learn that how meat is processed doesn't freak me out. I feel OK about growing some muscovies for dinner in the future.

5. Dwkuska

Dwkuska Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2012
    Graham Wa
    An alternative to slitting the throat would be to hand it up against a board and use a machete... not a whole lot better but I have met some people found it easier to deal with then slitting the jugular vein. I would like to say I think its awesome you took the initiative to take the glass. Not everyone is cut out for that kind of stuff.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  6. Dwkuska

Dwkuska Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2012
    Graham Wa
    NVM... I retract my previous statement after viewing your blog I have come to the decision your just awesome sauce. How much are the matches? I have been looking for comp matches to attend.

7. LaurelC

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA

Haha, I'm glad you like it! The local ones in Eatonville have a $20 match fee. PM incoming!

8. [​IMG]
    That was great! I wish there were some classes around here. Thankfully I have a neighbor that is going to teach me when the time comes late this Spring.

If you think slitting their throats is going to be too much for you, then before you do the deed, thank them for providing food for your family. Remember, you gave them a good life and one bad day. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

Well done!

9. LaurelC

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by