Took a few outside today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AKsmama, Jul 17, 2010.

1. AKsmama

AKsmama Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I couldn't wait any more- I have been wanting to take the chicks outside for days! They are about 8-10 days old now. I opened the brooder and took out the first two that "volunteered" (hopped up on the edge). I took them into a sunny spot at first, and they were frightened and wouldn't walk around. Then dummy me figures out that it's way too hot in the sun, so we went over to a shady area. They still stood around for a minute, then a bug- it was small, like a ladybug- walked by and it was like a switch was thrown. The cockerel grabbed that sucker up and THEN they were like, "Oh yeah, I'm a chicken!" and began exploring and pecking and scratching. It was awesome! I went and grabbed two more and they were the same way- a bit scared at first, then they picked up from the other two what to do. They had a good time and would follow me. I was sitting and they would stay right with me, which was fine since I know they need close protection. I laid back on the grass and they eventually settled down nestled up to me [​IMG] Now I know what y'all mean when you say it's relaxing to watch them. It really is, and entertaining too. They ate some grit (dirt) and some small ants and pecked at the dandelions. I love how they softly cheep continuously. I don't know why, but it makes me laugh when they scratch, something about it looks so funny!

I know, I know, I need to post pictures! I am terrible about that. But I really do want opinions on what I think is our "free exotic chick." I have no idea what breed he is (I am 99% sure it's a he, he was straight run from MMH and his tiny comb is already getting a little spiky), and there's no giveaway like a top hat. I know he could be just about anything and it may be weeks before we can tell, but it's driving me crazy!

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Pics would be good- but it sounds like you had quite a time with them!

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    It just melts your heart when they snuggle, doesn't it....little loves....

4. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Crowing 8 Years

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert County MD
    aww [​IMG] their so cute at that age

5. bonder

bonder In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Quote:I read another post on 7/12 that they had received a polish chick from McMurray's. I received 2 polish on 7/11 from them (I couldn't wait and picked mine up @ the hatchery) so I know they were hatching them. Do you think yours is a polish? I think that fuzzy little pom-pom on top is sooo cute! Good luck with your chicks!

6. ParrotsNPullets

ParrotsNPullets Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Quote:I read another post on 7/12 that they had received a polish chick from McMurray's. I received 2 polish on 7/11 from them (I couldn't wait and picked mine up @ the hatchery) so I know they were hatching them. Do you think yours is a polish? I think that fuzzy little pom-pom on top is sooo cute! Good luck with your chicks!

He was saying that there is no easy give-away like a top hat on the mystery chick. Ours from MMH ended up being a bantam Barred Cochin roo (we so wanted it to be a hen!).
    Very sweet story, we love our little babies from MMH too!

7. bonder

bonder In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Quote:oh, duh! guess I didn't read that quite right...[​IMG]

8. AKsmama

AKsmama Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Yeah, there's no top hat on anyone and no feathered feet either. I'm only guessing this one is the exotic because he looks a bit different in his coloring than everyone else- he's that creamy yellow except he has a thick dark gray stripe running from the top of his head all the way down his back. His wing feathers are coming in white with what looks like may be some black barring, but the feathers are mostly white. I thought maaaaaybe he was an Exchequer Leghorn a few days ago, but with the black on his feathers, I don't think so anymore. Besides, I was basing that on how pictures of chicks looked online, which isn't exactly the best way. So. . . [​IMG] Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I really do need to post pics, I'm sure someone here could help narrow it down!

9. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

I took my chickies outside today too! They're about 10 days old as well. Yesterday I affixed bird netting to the bottom 2/3's of a 4 X 4 dog exercise pen and then placed a shade top on it to protect from the sun and predators. I took the girls (and guy(s)) out to their new playpen, and at first they were a little shell shocked by this green stuff under their feet, but they warmed up to it pretty quickly. They really loved how much room they had to flap and run, and after they scratched around a little bit they discovered the dead grass under the green grass. They all had a blast picking up a chunk of brown grass, chirping and playing keep away/tug. The poor little Silkies didn't stand a chance of winning that game though!

I took a video of their first few minutes outside and uploaded it to YouTube.

I sat oustide and watched the little boogers play for over an hour until our playtime was rudely interupted by an impromptu downpour. Can't wait to do it again!

Rachel

10. sharol

sharol Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    They are adorable. What a colorful group of babies. I'm trying to work out an outside pen for my 1 week olds that I can use at some point this week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: