took a punt, male or female

waynem1983

Chirping
5 Years
May 30, 2014
Gloucestershire, England
Purchased three 13 week old bantam orpingtons, just because they were gorgeous. I think the buff and lavender are both males and the black one a female, but I live in hope..

I really hope so too!

Just for reference, what is it that gives them away. With the lavender, it has fairly distinct saddle feathers. The buff has a much darker comb, but has a similar shape body wise to my larger standard BO's, so I was a little unsure, however im sure I have seen him try to straddle the black one, in an adolescent, awkward kind of way.

the black one does not seem to have the same feathering, is much smaller and the comb and wattles are smaller and much more pale than the other 2.

Pullet usually dont get red combs until laying age, about 18-24 weeks old, so at 12 weeks like these guys, they are roos. You want smaller, pale combs, and no wattles.

I have this thing inside me that says I like these three birds so much I should argue on a forum untill one of thems magically turns into a female.

truth is, after watching them all formthe last day or so, its fairlymobvious they are all cocks. I have seen them try to mount each other and square up beak to beak like arrows.

A friend has agreed to take some from me, the last one is likley to be going in noodle soup if I cant rehome him.

I will try a velcow collar on the black one, he is ugly as hell and a proper runt, but also the most tame and loves being near me, I cant help but love him and want to keep him.

Back
Top Bottom