Took broody hen off eggs replaced....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by oscar 1102, Jul 27, 2013.

1. oscar 1102

oscar 1102 In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    Hi Oscar here, hi to all. Have a question, had to take hen off eggs, she has been on them OVER month. First nest was attacked and she went and sat on some other eggs. I think they should have hatched by now, only three left anyway, I think she broke the other ones. Anyway, we went and got some week old babies and put her in new cage and put babies in there, granted it was at bedtime, but she acted Very aggresively to them we thought she would kill them, she was picking them up and tossing them about. We took her out of there for the night. Going back now, to put her in for a few minutes to see if she will accept them. Will she? Is this normal behavior? Thanks

2. 20736

20736 Songster

Jun 6, 2012
    The answer is: It depends.
    Night is usually a good time to pull the switch. How many chicks were there. My banties hatch in small sets, like 5 or less. I actually just added a chick this morning to my broodys one lone chick, and she took right to it.
    Try this: pick one of the chicks up and see if it will "cheep" in distress. Let the broody hear the cheep. Watch her reaction. You might be able to trigger her instincts.
    Hope this helps.

3. oscar 1102

Apr 30, 2013
    Thank you, this morning when I put her back in with the babies ,she wasnt as bad. She still wasnt acting like a Mom when we left, we stayed awhile to supervise. There is six little guys. Hope she will love them. Otherwise we will take care of them and she can start over if she will.

4. oscar 1102

Apr 30, 2013
    Thank you

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] The problem may have been the chicks were too old. Day olds would have been best. Even so I would not leave her alone with the new chicks unless you saw her tucking them under her to keep them warm. That is mothering instinct. Certainly picking them up and tossing them would have kept me from giving her another chance. I hope it works out for you but you can't force a hen to have good mothering instincts. Some , like humans, and just not cut out to be mamas.

Also putting her into a new cage probably stressed her a lot also.

8. oscar 1102

Apr 30, 2013
    Thank you. Yeah we took her out. The babies are doing fine we have them with us and they are like little pigs with feathers! Thanks for the advice.

9. liz9910

liz9910 Crowing

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by