Took delivery today on a second group of 300 Cornish X chicks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by AgroUrica, Mar 20, 2013.

1. AgroUrica

AgroUrica Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    So far so good though these are definitely a day or two or even three younger than the first group I purchased. I recall the lady at the feed store saying that first batch "hatched last night" but I knew better as their wings were already well-feathered. These guys today are definitely smaller and younger.

When we set them in their new quarters they mobbed the watering devices. I suspect they had a 2 -3 hour trip from the coastal city of Barcelona to arrive nearby and I imagine they were stressed, thirsty, and hungry from the experience. A few of the chicks ended up soaked and shivering so I moved them to my new incubator which I'm calibrating right now and they were dry and frisky within short order. I'm most concerned today about the coming heat we'll be facing as summer really sets in.

If all works according to plan, in about a week to 10 days I'll set 600+ eggs in the new incubator and have another group to follow this one. Having said that, things rarely go to plan in Venezuela.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by