Took her to the vet....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blueberrychickens, Feb 6, 2012.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    So Junebug (BO 20 mo old) has been a bit under the weather as of late. She wasn't roosting w/ the others at night & she was breathing w/ difficulties. I noticed she wasn't eating like the others, so I separated her as a precaution & brought her inside. After noticing little improvement (but no decline either) I decided to take her to the vet.(more for my own piece of mind if anything were to go bad...ie she dies) I had to go to work so I just dropped her off @ the vet & picked her up on my way home. She didn't seem to mind the car ride, but from what I was told, she was very stressed w/ the vet. He decided she was to stressed to try to draw blood on her. He did conclude that she has an upper respiratory infection, gave her a shot of antibiotics & a prescription to take home & add to her water for the next 14 days (doxycycline)
    SInce the vet was gone when I picked her up, do I need to keep her separated for the next 14 days shes on the anti biotics? ( I assume yes) Will the flock accept her back when she's better?? Or will she be an outsider & attacked??

All in all, I'm glad I brought her in to the vet. She already seems to be a bit better as she did eat a little bit of food tonight. Over all cost was just under $100 (ouch!!)

2. Mykee

Mykee Chillin' With My Peeps

I would keep her separate, but only by wire or something, like in a dog pen inside the normal coop, so the others don't forget about her. Hope she gets better!

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    No I would separate her in a kennel away from your other birds in the event it may be contagious. I would set up a little pet hospital with good lighting so your bird is not locked up and being punished but in a warmer area with lighting and a hospital environment. A large Dog Kennel would do very well. Feed this girl/roo foods that offer substance like eggs (scrambled or hard boiled or fried), flax seed, linseed, sunflower seed no shells ground up, broccoli & cauliflower crushed up, cooked chicken minced up in a food processor, corn frozen in a bag and steamed, meal-worms, cottage cheese with flax seed, linseed, sunflower seed no shells ground up in it. Foods that deliver a punch to the digestive system. As far as respiratory tract and internal part the doctor took car of that for 2 weeks so do your job and feed her great nutritional stuff. Best of luck.

4. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Thanks, she is in a large crate in my dining room for the time being. I have no where else to put her. She is being a great house guest, very quiet, makes no mess...lol. I have been giving her a variety of foods in hopes that she'll start to eat something. I've tried boiled & scrambled eggs, diced up chicken, broccoli, pasta alfredo, meal worms, lettuce, corn bread, regular bread, steak, cheese, cottage cheese, carrot peels.(all the foods her flock mates try to kill each other for!) So far she's only taken a liking to carrot peels & a nibble of broccoli. She also has her pellets w/ some grit in there too. I'm gonna try some yogurt mixed w/ moistened pellets & corn after lunch in hopes that the corn will entice her to eat more than a nibble here & there.
    She is still breathing hard, but I've got a call into the vet to let him know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by