Took in an injured chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Carebearsmiles, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Carebearsmiles

Carebearsmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Tahlequah
    I was at Atwoods today getting some supplies and I just HAD to stop by the chicks. There was one that was limping around and I just knew they would throw it away. So of course I couldn't help myself and had to ask what they were going to do with it. The worker basically politely said "throw it away". So I asked for it and they gave it to me free of charge.

I am new to this, but all that seems to be wrong with it is a leg injury. No obvious broken-ness. Maybe a twisted ankle (or something like it that might happen to chickens).
    I seperated it in the little run we have. I don't know if it's a hen or roo, but hopefully hen. Either way I just couldn't let them throw it away.

Is there anyhting I can do for a little hurt leg?

[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Does the leg appear to not stick out? If so that should rule out slipped tendon and splayed leg. Sounds like it could have had a injury from over crowding in the brooder.

3. OnewChook

OnewChook Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be due to the crowding in the brooder, Or maybe the other chicks in there pecked at it because it younger or smaller?!
    I would take it to a vet personally.. [​IMG]

4. Carebearsmiles

Carebearsmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Tahlequah
    Sadly, it did not make it through the night. :(

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    So sorry for your loss. At least it had a loving home with you for the rest of it's time on this earth [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by