1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Took in some ducks help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by msbenton1112, May 24, 2016.

1. msbenton1112

msbenton1112 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2016
    Upstate NY
    So I know nothing about caring for ducks and I've taken in 6 Khaki? Campbell? They are so skiddish they run in coop when I walk by I can't get anywhere near them. I have a small pool set up and I have food for them. I think I have to get rid of some. My brother said you can only have one male to 3 females an I think there are 4 males to two females. Any advice?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. msbenton1112

May 13, 2016
    Upstate NY
    I think they are a couple months old if that. I know they are younger because you can barely tell the difference between the males an females. Thank You for the links I will look at them. Will they ever become a little more social with me or will they always act so skiddish? I would like to let them out of their coop to free roam the yard eventually.

4. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    4 males and 2 females makes me cringe. Male ducks can be terrible during breeding season and can definitely injure females.

How old are they?

5. msbenton1112

May 13, 2016
    Upstate NY
    I'm not sure of the age I think a couple months old just starting to show coloring on the males. I think I'm going to get rid of the 3 males.

6. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Doh! Sorry I think you were writing your answer at the same time I was!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by