1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

took pics of Sweet Pea's coloring/eye/face...can anyone help???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JeninMN, Jul 30, 2008.

1. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    I took some pics of Sweet Pea last night....can anyone tell me if they have seen this before....it is just her one eye...you can see also how much lighter she is in color and also size in comparison to the others...She eats well, drinks well, acts totally normal..she is the sweetest hen we have actually....hence me getting to name her and keep her safe [​IMG]

I had her on meds (put them all on meds to be safe) for 2 weeks and then took them off...her other side of her face is normal...but she is so pale and this swelling just can't be normal...????? It comes and goes but when I think its all better then it starts up again....she was doing really good again and then a few days ago there was some blood in her eye and nostril and now this is how she looks again...Any and all advice is so much appreciated!!! I know noone around here with chickens so I am on my own except for you guys!

Oh, None of the rest have had ANY issues at all...she is the only one that has been having this problem...the rest are completely fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!!! Jen in MN

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. JeninMN

Apr 3, 2008
    bump...anyone??

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Usually very pale indicates anaemia...
    Are any of the other girls laying?
    It looks like her ear is swollen...Have you taken her to an exotics vet? You may have to to get an antibiotic ear drop...If her eardrum broke, that might've caused the blood that you saw. Does she shake her head or scratch at her ear at all?

4. JeninMN

Apr 3, 2008
    Thats just it...she doesn't act weird at all...no shaking..no scratching...I've spent hours with her watching and nothing looks abnormal...should I try ear drops??? Where would I get them at? I was looking at Fleet Farm where I got the other meds and all I see is stuff for cattle and horses...

None of them are laying yet..they will be 17 weeks old on Sunday...

The ONLY thing I have noticed with her is sometimes she will stretch her neck way out and open her mouth a few times...

What is there that I can do for the anemia???

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

http://www.roosterboosterproducts.com/product/50401

You
    could try this for the anaemia...

If you have someone who could help you, see if you can see in her ear...there might be an infection in there that you might have to get out...

I know that when I have an earache, sometimes I used to swallow air just to equalize the pressure.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Did you give her any Tylan or Gallimyacyn for her eye. Some meds like Terrimyicine just won't put a dent in that type of stuff.

7. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    Is the iris of the eye itself an unusually pale greyish colour?

8. JeninMN

Apr 3, 2008
    Hi,

The iris of her eye is ok...looks pretty much like the rest of them...

about the Tylan or Gallimyacyn...where can I get that at? Is this something I should try right away...last night she looked so much better...even had a little bit of pinkish tone to her skin again...but this has happened before where she has perked up and then gotten worse again so I dont know...

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Tylan you can buy at feed store or TSC. You can LA-200 also. Both of these are labled as used for cattle and are an injectable, but if you own chickens you will need them sooner or later. I would hate to tell you to use them if she was getting better, but since she has had a relaps she might not be able to fight it off on her own. Tylan is quicker working then the LA200, La being longer acting I believe. I would give her 1/2cc once a day for 3 days ( in thigh, brest, or under back neck skin)and see if it does her some good. You can also put a few drops in her eye. Hope she gets better soon....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by