Took some pics while it was nice out of camels and birds. PIC HEAVY

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by reveriereptile, Dec 16, 2008.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I've only been living on a farm for a couple of years. I use to live in a small town in another state but met my husband and moved with him. We currently live with his parents on their farm. His dad likes exotic animals and wanted some birds and knew I loved animals so he got me some since he knew I'd take care of them. This year was my first with turkeys and peacocks. Had a rough time with the turkeys since they were the giant whites and they ate and grew to fast that most had leg problems and had to be put down which we were going to eat them anyway. Did get some more and a nice tom to breed with our healthy white hen that is laying eggs.

Here's some pictures of the farm animals.
    Black Langshan
    [​IMG]
    Blue Slate/bourbon red/giant white turkeys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    RIR hen trying to lay an egg.
    [​IMG]
    Week old calf.
    [​IMG]
    Two young peacocks we got for free and were in the process of getting them set up in our cellar till they get a little bigger.
    [​IMG]
    White Langshan pullet.
    [​IMG]
    White Langshan roo.
    [​IMG]
    Cinnamon Bun my ferret.
    [​IMG]
    and Camels......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We've been having problems trying to worm them is why the adults kind of skinny looking. I think my father-in-law is going to have a vet look at them and one of the adults since she is having some problems with her head. They usually get a pimple looking think on their face/head that usually will go away but hers hasn't and more showed up. She is the older whiter one.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So what are the camels for... besides hay eaters?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  3. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Great photos!!

4. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Wow....that plus over a hundred cows!!! That is true to the word FARM. I bet there is never a dull moment at your home. Thanks for sharing the photos with us. [​IMG] Claudia

5. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    My father-in-law bought them to breed and sell. He didn't have much luck at first cause I think the male had died. Then he had the oldest female bred twice at a zoo and she had two females which we still have and he wanted to keep those to breed. Last year he sent the females to a zoo to get bred and that is where the two babies (male and female) came from. One was being delivered and we didn't know about it and it got stuck in the birth canal and passed away from its neck swelling up which was bad cause it was a big boy that was brown with white legs. While they were gone being bred he bought a male that was still a little bit young yet to breed and he wouldn't be related to the female's babies to breed the female from them. The females are worth about $4,000-5,000 each and the males $3,000-4,000 each. We are going to sell the baby male after we get him tamed down a bit the mother fed him unlike the other mother. I've never tasted one. Worth to much to eat.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  6. ChickenGirl95

ChickenGirl95 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    New York
    Love your pics. Cute camels! [​IMG]

7. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    I see snow on the ground. How far upstate? And camels can handle your weather? Awesome!

8. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I love the pictures [​IMG]

9. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I'm about 20-30 minutes from the Canadian border. The camels handle snow real easy. They will grow pretty thick hair on their humps. There are days it will be snowing outside and they will be out eating hay with their backs all covered in snow. They lay side by side in a building to stay warm but are usually outside during the day unless it is raining.

10. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    What a fun farm! Thanks for sharing the pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by