Took the plunge!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SimplyForties, May 6, 2009.

1. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    I just ordered my first ever chicks. I'm so excited! They should arrive the week of 18 May. I've wanted chickens most of my life and finally decided to just go for it! I ordered an assortment of 10, 5 different varieties; 2 standard-sized and 3 bantam - all female (hopefully). Now I need to get busy! I can't wait!!

2. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

We got our first chicks in 25 years 2 weeks ago and we are having so much fun! A couple of things we found:
    Call the hatchery and verify the shipping date. Ours arrived 2 days before I was expecting them, on a Sunday, and if I hadn't called I wouldn't have had a clue, would have been at work, stuff not ready, etc. Turned out great, but...
    They grow REALLY fast. Your initial brooder may look huge but within a few days it will be wall-to-wall fluffy babies. It's fun to have them in something small (we used a big feed trough)so that you can easily pick them up at first, but plan on something bigger after 3-4 days if it's small.
    Pasting up: I tried gently dabbing at the hard little balls of poo that collected on a few bottoms, but finally found that a warm sitz bath - just sit that little chick butt down in a little bowl of warm water to soften and then gently remove - works much better. And they didn't seem to mind it after the first few seconds. They'll dry really fast under the light. My chicks were all active and healthy, eating and drinking, but still a few had some problems with this.
    Get some chick grit. Not readily available at the feeds stores here, but if you are going to want to give your babies any treats (and you are!) you should have some to offer them, so see if you can find some. McMurray's has it, but expensive to ship. Its just like adult grit but smaller.
    Don't plan on getting anything done for a while, watching the chicks is ALL I wanted to do for days. Have fun!

3. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think they can promise you that the bantams will be female, but [​IMG]

4. SimplyForties

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    Thanks nostalchick for the tips! That's good information. I've read on this board that you can give the chicks parakeet grit from the pet aisle in the grocery store and plan to get that.

I paid a big premium to get the bantams sexed, we'll see how it goes, bawk. Hopefully, they'll mostly be right!

5. hoosiergal

hoosiergal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2008
    indiana
    you will enjoy them. good luck.

6. love4mychick

love4mychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    congrats:thumbsup

7. SimplyForties

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    Now if I can just convince my pug to love them and become Chicken Pug - Defender of the Range!

8. nhchickmom

nhchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Quote:CONGRATULATIONS!!! Have fun, they grow so fast. We just got 6 new babies last week and they are almost hopping out of their box. Good Luck. This is such a great website with so much support and care!

9. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Hey that's when my first batch of chicks is coming! [​IMG] I can hardly wait myself! I know it's going to be a wonderful experience for us both, I hope anyway! [​IMG] You will get all the help from all these great people here as I have!

10. Ravenna

Ravenna Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    SLO County, California
    Congrats! I am in the same boat! I ordered 10 blue and 5 white silkies from Cackle Hatchery and they were shipped today at 5 a.m, so I'm waiting for that call in anticipation from the post office. ;o I caught the "disease" and want some seramas and fifty other breeds too lol! They seem too cute. [​IMG]: Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by