Tool/Garden shed

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by darkmatter, Sep 12, 2010.

1. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My old wooden garden/tool shed was rotting in place and the price of a new wooden one was a bit steep. Whether I bought the lumber or a lumberyard "kit" structure was more then I wanted to pay. Solution-----I bought a used Cargo Container for half the price of a lumberyard kit. Then borrowed my Son's welder to make up hooks and brackets for shelves. The pic is just after I painted the inside gloss white for easy visibility. Still got a bit more to do before I start moving in the mowers, hoes, and shovels.

[​IMG]

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Ya got it moved! [​IMG] I like the white paint, mine is aluminum a little dark. Good job!

3. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Can I ask how much this cost you to buy? Husband and I have been looking around for one, or even a trailer of some sort that we can drop tot he ground and use. The cheapest( needs work) is $500 and is in a very bad spot on land, we haul ourselves or $1700! Which is just undoable at this time. I don't need it that badly.

Yours looks BEAUTIFUL!!

4. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    What a clever idea! [​IMG]

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh so smart! NICE!!!

6. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    That looks awesome!

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:I did a Google search for Cargo Containers, Buy and found several companies that I could fill in "ask for a quote" with my e-mail address. Once I got my quotes back, I called directly and made arrangements with the company I chose. My price was for a used container (17 yrs old) in good shape with the seals/doors working. I didn't care about cosmetic dings and dents from forklifts and cargo shifting. By the way, in the picture of the shelves in the back, the top shelf is 1/2 inch longer then the bottom.------I guess from the container being stacked and bowed out, I can't see it, but found it by tape measure. I don't care. The price they quoted included delivery, your price may be different depending on your location, the company, and the current market. For me it was half what I would have paid for a wooden structure. And metal will outlast wood. Fortunately, my Son had a welder and taught me how to use it, so I bought rebar and did cut and weld. I also used salvaged angle iron to make shelf brackets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by