"Tool" to id new baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by imzadi, Mar 11, 2013.

1. imzadi

imzadi Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Hi there

Looking for a "tool" somewhere that would help me ID the new chickies I've got. They are about 1 week old. They were purchased as McMurry's "Rainbow" layer mix...I got 5; two are the same and the other three are different (I think [​IMG]).

Anyway, I know to look for coloring and pattern, leg color, toe color, beak color, how many toes...and I've written it all down (yea, I'm that anal)...and now I would like to have something I can then take this info and use to determine WHAT I have for babies. I know they are pullets...and they are layers but...that's a pretty big category :)

Don't know if there's anything like...plug in "green legs" and all the other selections go away, they plug in "four toes" and all 5 toes go away...and then you whittle down like that...

2. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    I am curious what posts you get. I ordered the rainbow assortment also, mine will be here April 1st. Enjoy your babies (aka new science project)!
  3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

I haven't heard of anything like that but I know that if you take some pictures and ask on the "what breed/gender" board, people will help you figure it out.
  4. CoopDeFoudre

CoopDeFoudre Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    BHM, AL
    I know of no such resource, but if you post pics, maybe folks here can figure it out for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by