Tooooo funny!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tcates, Aug 31, 2010.

1. tcates

tcates Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    OK, so have this really. really tough kick butt roo... (RIR) refusing to allow me to give his girls treats even..... workers come to install raised garden bed... they chew/shred/totally toast the Bermuda grass and the clay (live in N AL) before adding the "good stuff", so I gather it all up into a wheelbarrow and take to the chicken run...they are in a tractor, so figure if they don't like it I will move them. I open the end of the run, roo comes strutting out, he has tried to get me with his spurs many times.... and I shovel a bunch of this "prime stuff" into their run. He sees the shovel, and squawks like a hen and makes a beeline for the hen house. He literally RAN over one hen (from tail to head) and beat all the hens into the hen house. So, am thinking maybe I don't need to be so timid around this Roo...... not too mention once they sorted and scratched everything, they started taking dust baths... OMG [​IMG] I have read about the dust bathing, but I had no idea until I saw it.... I was sweaty, filthy, and Lord knows I smelled, but watching the hens and mainly the Roo taking a proper dust bath.... I was grinning from ear to ear, laughing and forgetting the fact that I have been shoveling cow poo in the summer heat for 5 hours! WOW... who would have thought a few chickens would provide such peace and happiness? Forget the eggs..... I have found my "zen'' for daily life!!!!!!! [​IMG]

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    [​IMG] first dust baths are alwase the funnyest (please exuse my spelling im slightly sleep deprived)

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    You just finding out. That's the real reason we have chickies. Its not the eggs. Its the adventures that they take us on.

5. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    First time I saw mine sunbathing I thought something had killed them. The looked all flopped out and dead!

6. TheFeatheredTempest

TheFeatheredTempest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    NW Illinois
    OMG me too! I RAN over to them I saw them sun bathing the first time. Once I saw they were alive I was relieved but utterly perplexed. I bet I sat puzzling over it for an hour. When one finally did an egg squat I was on the forum researching injured wings [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by