top 3 choices, opinions please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kidsnchicks, Sep 12, 2010.

1. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    My daughter has decided to show some chickens next year for 4H, these are her top 3 choices, Mottled Cochins, Barred Cochins and Blue Silkies. Are these some good choices? I like both the Cochins, we may end up getting a small group of each, and which ever ones she does best with will be the ones to go to fair.

Now for housing them, should each breed have their own area? They will not be in with my flock as they are going to be hers, so she is soley responsable for them, yes I will be checking and overseeing to be sure they are taken care of properly.

She also wants ducks and I think she has decided on Cayugas, opinions on them?

Thanks

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cayugas - [​IMG] But finding good, non-hatchery based ones is a hard thing to do. They're quite rare.

As for the chickens - Cochins are the most popularly common breed to show for 4H and can do pretty well, but honestly I think you'd also have a great ball of fun with blue silkies. [​IMG]

As for housing them, that's up to you. Some people have separate pens per bird, or per breed or color variety, and some keep all the girls in one pen, and all the boys in another, then select a pair for breeding in a third.

3. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    I think those are great choices,silver seabrights also get's the judges eye's; silkies are great like a puppy dog

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  4. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    You can't go wrong with silkies and cochins in whatever color you like.

5. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Thank you! I like all 3 lol. I was thinking a roo and 3 to 4 hens per breed in thier own little runs? She wants to show them as pairs, or the hens together and the roos together then pick the best of each and take them to fair? I never showed chickens so this is a bit new to me too.

Now we have to figure out a set up that allows us to do this,lol, and convince my hubby to build it,lol.

I will also be needing to find them, Im thinking it would be better to get them now rather than in the spring? This way I know they are old enough for the fair.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by