Top Beak Frostbit? How to repair?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CyndiD, Jan 26, 2017.

1. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    I am embarrassed to say I just noticed his top beak yesterday. Look like frostbite to me?
    Will his beak grow back?
    How can I assist with repair and recovery? thank you
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have you ever heard of scaly face mites? No? Me neither. But they exist as do scaly leg mites.

Now, there is an outside chance that the beak is bruised or has been injured for some reason. There's even less of a chance it's frostbite.

One thing that will address all those causes is Vaseline, Bag Balm, or Triple antibiotic ointment. Grease, in other words.

You do need to inspect the rest of this boy, looking at the skin around the vent to make sure he doesn't have lice or mites. Inspect the coop and roosts after dark to make sure there isn't a mite infestation causing this misery. If you see them crawling up the legs of your chickens after dark, you will need to treat the premises with permethrin or like product.

3. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    thank you i will ck after dark and grease him up. i did put a dab of neosporin on his beak already, but just a dab. i will put more, and i have vasoline also.
    I heard the beak will grow back and will grow back longer than original length and was told not to cut the beak back but to file it back.
    thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by