Top beak of my rooster fell off.

Vgcmd1962

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2019
i Have 2 roosters and they despise each other. While in his hard metal cage, he tried to peck the other rooster who was walking on the floor and in doing so, his beak hit the hard wire, literally smashing off the top keratinized layer of his top beak, like when one loses a nail. His top beak is totally tissue now. I believe he’s in a lot of pain. I gave him some meloxicam and applied theracyn to his top layer. He won’t eat nor drink water. My question will his outer, keratinized layer grow back? How should I manage him? Should I take him to a vet? Please advise. I love my rooster, he’s been my savior since my mom passed away. I can’t see my life without him.

Attachments

Vgcmd1962

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2019
Oh the poor thing!
I am by far no expert, but here is what I would do. Give him something for pain.. then he might eat and drink at least a little. Make sure it doesn't get infected. Seperate him from the rest of the flock. Provide soft food and no kernels.
Good luck!
Will the top layer of his top beak grow back?

abpatchy

Songster
May 1, 2012
Germany
Will the top layer of his top beak grow back?
I really don't know. I'm sorry! I guess that depends how much damage has been done. Not sure if anyone can tell you for sure. But I do believe he should be able to live with it even if he doesn't grow back. At least that is my opinion. Just think of the chickens with their beak trimmed... they are doing ok. You'll just have to see how he is coping.

Wyorp Rock

Enabler
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
i Have 2 roosters and they despise each other. While in his hard metal cage, he tried to peck the other rooster who was walking on the floor and in doing so, his beak hit the hard wire, literally smashing off the top keratinized layer of his top beak, like when one loses a nail. His top beak is totally tissue now. I believe he’s in a lot of pain. I gave him some meloxicam and applied theracyn to his top layer. He won’t eat nor drink water. My question will his outer, keratinized layer grow back? How should I manage him? Should I take him to a vet? Please advise. I love my rooster, he’s been my savior since my mom passed away. I can’t see my life without him.
Welcome To BYC!

He will be tender for several days.
The beak "should" harden up and heal over time. Likely he won't eat well for a few days, but it would be good to keep him hydrated. Provide his with a deeper dish of water, you can also make his feed into a wet mash (feed+water/make a bit soupy).

Vgcmd1962

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2019
Thank you. A vet came to my house and glued back his beak with a glue substance and applied epoxy to parts of exposed tissue. He said the beak should grow back and push the old one out. If it falls off before 1 week he’ll have to apply an epoxy coat to his exposed tissue.

ChemicalchiCkns

Songster
Oct 27, 2012
If he is so highly wary of even drinking water, you might use a syringe with no needle to drip it down his throat slowly. I suspect that it will grow back the way spurs removed do, but the veterinarian would know more likely.

Top Bottom