Top Chicken will not let other 2 roost with her, help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by isaacsibley, Jan 22, 2019.

1. isaacsibley

isaacsibley Hatching

Jan 22, 2019
    Hi, I have 2 Australorps and 1 Sussex. They are doing very well and are my first chickens ever! The Australorps are about 2 months old with the Sussex being around 3 months. They are very friendly and love cuddling together during the day in the dirt or wherever they want. They have lots of room in the coop and send themselves to bed with me locking them up right after. Whenever I come to lock them up the two Australorps are in the nesting box with the Sussex roosting on one of the bars. There are about 3 roosting bars so they have lots of options but the Sussex always pecks at them when they try to roost with her. Is this bad and if so how do I fix this and help the Australorps to roost?

2. isaacsibley

isaacsibley Hatching

Jan 22, 2019
    This is the one we have, I also installed another roosting bar just a bit higher than the others which makes it three as well as the existing two.

Foursquare2.jpg

3. isaacsibley

isaacsibley Hatching

Jan 22, 2019
    Inside of it without sawdust and without the other roosting bar.

Attached Files:

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Yes. It's a bit crowded so that's the problem.

aart and Brahmachicken240 like this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The bar near the door is basically unusable...too close to the wall(door when closed)....even for such small birds.
    The crowding is going to get worse as they get bigger.

6. Also doesn't help that the roost bars are basically at the same height as the nest boxes. There is no incentive for them to use the bars when they can just sleep in the nests.

Brahmachicken240 likes this.
  7. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Which bar is the dominant bird using? Assuming she's using the 3rd one you added (since you said it was higher) I'd actually try taking out the lower 2. They're nearly useless with where they're placed, so it's making a tight space even tighter.

Also how long is the roost? Ideally you'd want 12" per bird, but not sure if that's feasible in this setup.

You do NOT want birds sleeping in the nest boxes because they poop throughout the night. So once they start laying, that means eggs will end up sitting in poop if you're not cleaning the boxes daily.

8. isaacsibley

isaacsibley Hatching

Jan 22, 2019
    Yes, I have realized this after checking on them recently. Gonna have to get a bigger coop!

aart and 123RedBeard like this.
  9. isaacsibley

isaacsibley Hatching

Jan 22, 2019
    Great thanks for the advice, appreciate it. Gonna have to upgrade and get a bigger coop.

chickens really likes this.
  10. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Crowing

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    Block off the nesting boxes.

As said get rid of the roost closest to door, make others same height, but higher than nests ... put above the pop door and nest ...

If Sussex is still a brat, remove her for a day or three, gives the others a chance to learn the roosts, and may drop the Sussex in the pecking order, or atleast even it out ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: